Wobbly distributor cap? and an update on my starter problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

Wobbly distributor cap? and an update on my starter problem

I just did the basic tune-up: , air filter, rotor, distributor cap, plugs, and wires.

My D-90 is running better than it has in a long time, but I notice that the distributor cap wobbles just a little bit. Now that I have driven it for a few miles, it wobbles less than it did initially, but if you look closely you can see it wobbling a tiny bit. Is this anything to be concerned with?

Oh, and an update on my starter motor problem. I replaced the Bosch unit with the older style Lucas/Marelli due to the fact that the Bosch unit has skyrocketed in price in the past month. I knew that my Bosch unit was on the way out, so the replacement is a good thing, but it seems that my starter problem is due to an old alarm installation that is cutting power to the ignition (even though the alarm had been removed years and years ago.)

At least I can crawl under the truck and start it with a piece of wire on the solenoid, so I am pleased to be driving it again. I'll be taking it down to my local mechanic friend to have him help me remove any of the old wiring from the alarm that is causing the problem . . . . I suspect that the alarm wiring harness may also ber responsible for the slow drain on the battery that requires that I use a battery cut-off switch if I want to start it after a few days of letting it sit. . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Andrew,
Did you use a Genuine cap & rotor? I think it should fit better than that. Did you have any problems getting the rotor off?
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i was going to ask that as well since i am planning this soon, I understand that it "pulls" off. I have also heard that you "break it off". please advise
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2006, 12:25 AM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

Yes, I used genuine Lucas cap and rotor. The rotor pulled off with a gentle tug. Sure it was tight on there, but I didn't have to use all my strength to get it off either.

When I went to put the cap on, it almost seemed like the rotor was not fully pressed onto its mount and it was difficult to get the cap on. I removed the new rotor, inspected it and re-installed it and then the cap fit on, but the wobble was there. . .

Perhaps I have a slightly defective cap and or rotor. .. . ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:18 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

The cap has a notch in it make sure that corresponds with the distributers notch.
Also make sure the rotor is all the way down.
Did you have difficulty snapping the cap in place?
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

When reinstalling the rotor, place a drop of oil (or antisieze) on the shaft before putting the rotor on to help with removal later. Just a little bit--you don't want it slinging around in there. I use the dip stick and just take a dab off that.
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:13 AM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

I did have a little bit of trouble snapping the cap into place, but after I removed the rotor and re-installed it, it fit over the notch seemingly right.

I just spoke with the aftermarket parts place and was assured that it should be fine and to get back with them if I have anyproblems. since the truck is running very well, I think I will just leave it as it is for now. . .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
distributor, start, starter