WNWPP D90 Dual Battery Tray! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 15th, 2005, 04:39 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Thumbs up WNWPP D90 Dual Battery Tray!

List

For those of you who run dual batteries I have some good news! Wrangler Northwest Power Products has constructed a dual battery tray for our Defenders! For those of you who aren't familiar with them they sell the dual battery setup via Atlantic British. I just happen to stop by Wrangler NWPP to pick up some electrical supplies and the tray was brought to my attention by an employee. Evidently another enthusiast had NWPP fabricate a tray for him. They just happen to have an additional prototype and asked if I were to install it and provide installation instructions that I could keep it.

The tray is extremely robust and is finished with a glossy black powdercoat! The tray mounts flush to the base and sidewall of the battery box and anchored by five stainless steel fasteners. The construction of this tray allows for the placement of two optima batteries secured by three steel J-hooks affixed to an alloy cross bar. The tray is small enough to supplement other devices in the battery box, e.g. isolators, cut-off switches, relays, but can still house two optima's. Needless to say this set up is far superior to the OEM battery option.

If anyone has any questions about it just give Wrangler NWPP a call and ask for Stan Hackathorn. He's a really nice guy and will be able to provide more information about the tray and its introduction into the market.

Regards

DJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Battery Tray.jpg
Views:	1518
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	3426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Battery Tray 2.jpg
Views:	1680
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	3427  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nice! That is one clean seat box, I wish mine looked as nice! I'll mark this thread so it can be added to the Custom mods section one day
Old July 15th, 2005, 07:21 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

That is a clean box. Mine had mud all in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2005, 10:04 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Nice! That is one clean seat box, I wish mine looked as nice! I'll mark this thread so it can be added to the Custom mods section one day

I had to clean it out before I took the pictures for the write-up. I also had to clean up the "rust" at the bottom too. It was a complete mess.

Just let me know when plan to move it mike and I can send you the install instructions and some other pictures too!

DJ
Old July 17th, 2005, 08:08 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

So you can't post a price ? We've got to call to get a price ?

Or is this just simply the 'Universal Battery Tray' listed on their website for $184 ??

Thanks,

N

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:44 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
So you can't post a price ? We've got to call to get a price ?

Or is this just simply the 'Universal Battery Tray' listed on their website for $184 ??

Thanks,

N

I doubt that they have up yet, but I think he told me it would be around $200 or so. You'll probably have to give him a call to find out for sure.

DJ
Old July 17th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

$200 for a battery tray? Does that come with other stuff like the isolator? If it is just a tray, then WOW, that is expensive for a battery tray.
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:08 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I made my own using 1/8" aluminum and pop riveted it down. I think one side of the storage area is lower than the other, I believe I used 1/4" aluminum to buildit up so it was level. I then drilled two holes and threaded them, used threaded rod and 1/4" aluminum bar to hold down the batteries. I finished the tray off with textured rubber. I probably spent about $20 to make mine, and not for nothing, it looks better than the NW one.
Super easy to make, took maybe 2 hours.
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Are mods needed??? I just fitted dual batteries last week. Set them on some 1" hard insualtion and held down with the stock retainer. All fit in no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batteries.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	3430  
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

$200 Battery tray! Where's Wicks? Made my own, for $6. It even works most of the time.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 17th, 2005, 11:12 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
$200 for a battery tray? Does that come with other stuff like the isolator? If it is just a tray, then WOW, that is expensive for a battery tray.

I'm not sure? I think the idea was to sell the tray and the isolation unit together, but I don't know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Are mods needed??? I just fitted dual batteries last week. Set them on some 1" hard insualtion and held down with the stock retainer. All fit in no problems.

I suppose not, but I had my dual batteries secured in the same manner as yours and it didn't last very long. The stock retainer rusted out from water ingress and bent due the vibrations from wheeling. I just couldn't handle the stress. After that I used a cargo strap secured by two footman loops. It worked but was a real pain to remove and fasten when ever I accessed the compartment.

DJ
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
I suppose not, but I had my dual batteries secured in the same manner as yours and it didn't last very long. The stock retainer rusted out from water ingress and bent due the vibrations from wheeling. I just couldn't handle the stress. After that I used a cargo strap secured by two footman loops. It worked but was a real pain to remove and fasten when ever I accessed the compartment.

I suspect my stock retainer must be a bit heavier than yours. It is made from 1/4" x 1" flat bar broken into an angle shape. A good bit stronger than the battery box. I replaced the threadeds ends for a couple of bucks from the auto parts store with new standard hold downs.
Old July 19th, 2005, 03:56 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
I suspect my stock retainer must be a bit heavier than yours. It is made from 1/4" x 1" flat bar broken into an angle shape. A good bit stronger than the battery box. I replaced the threadeds ends for a couple of bucks from the auto parts store with new standard hold downs.
Nope, according to your picture my retainer is the same as yours, but in really poor condition. As for the J-hooks, I couldn't find any that would fit in the battery box so I elected the "do-it-yourself" strap job I mentioned earlier.

DJ
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Are you saying a 1/4" thick piece of steel rusted through? Good god, there can't be anything left of the vehicle.

The standard J hooks at the local store were identical to what was in there from the factory.
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:22 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Are you saying a 1/4" thick piece of steel rusted through? Good god, there can't be anything left of the vehicle.
Enough for it to bend when secured.
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:00 AM
xrover
Len Cater
1997 D90

Hey good news, it's not $200 for the battery tray. It's $600 for the tray and isolator kit bundled together. I did a search on their website for Defender and got this link:
http://www.wranglernw.com/p-6372-dua...1993-1997.aspx
Homemade coming my way!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, battery, d90