Wiring questions for split charge system - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 21st, 2007, 07:04 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Wiring questions for split charge system

Hi. I'm trying to install an X-Charge ( http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Charge.asp ) split charge system on my 110. It's an '86 110 with a 200tdi retrofit. I've never done anything like this before and I'm sort of stuck.

There's a wire that the instructions say goes from the alternator to the battery charge indicator lamp on the dash. I'm supposed to splice into this and run that wire to the relay that came with the X-Charge. I found the wire, but I'm not sure if the recommended procedure is to splice into it from the engine bay, or follow it into the cab and do it from there.

It seems like it would be easier to splice into a wire that's already in the cabin, as then I don't have to figure out how to get a wire through the bulkhead, and worry about it melting on something or getting shredded somehow. But I just have NO IDEA which wire in the cabin would work, or even how to figure that out!

Also, am I better connecting my negative battery terminals together, or separately grounding each battery? I thought separately grounding each would be better but the instructions say to connect them together.

Thank you very very much,
- Andrew Clarke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2007, 02:56 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I got this sorted out. I used the green wire from my rear wiper switch to activate the relay.

- Andrew.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:11 AM
epninety
Dave Haynes
Ibex 240 2.8TGV

I've not looked closely at the X-Eng kit so don't know if its a straight relay, or voltage sensing, but if they wire to the alt. warning light I assume it's a straight switching relay.

Pull the alt. warning bulb and put the ignition on. The correct wire is the one which is *not* 12V with the ignition on and engine off. You can use a voltmeter or a small test lamp to identify it.

Using the wiper wire means your split charge relay clicks in when the ignition is on, regardless of if the engine is running. Using the warning light connection, the relay won't click in until the engine is running and the alternator is producing power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Thanks for the post. Yeah, the relay closes now when I turn the key to the accessory position. I'm not sure if there's a downside to that, but the upside would be that I now have two batteries to assist in cranking the engine. Maybe if my auxiliary battery is drained this might be a bad thing though.

I checked with Simon, the X-Eng man, and he had this to say:

Quote:
Connecting it to the feed to the wipers is fine. We would suggest something similar, but many are afraid to dismantle the dash!
I had my dash apart anyway so this wasn't a problem for me.

- Andrew.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
epninety
Dave Haynes
Ibex 240 2.8TGV

Simon is always helpful, and X-Eng have some very good products (esp. the disc handbrake).

You have put your finger on the downside though... If your aux battery is completely flat, and your main battery is a bit marginal, when you try to start the aux battery becomes an extra load on the cranking battery.

As for the grounding question... Normally you would route ground from 'starter batt' > 'aux batt' >'chassis' in order to try to equalise the charge in the two batteries. But this will only work properly if the +ve wire between the batts is the same size and length. In this case you have a relay and some interconnects, so there will always be some imbalance in charging at high currents.

In reality, it will only make a marginal difference. Running separate straps will give the best possible earth for cranking so you might prefer this route.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Thanks. I ended up connecting the negative batteries separately to ground. I ended up buying the X-Charge because I was buying an X-Brake anyway. The X-Charge was more of a "what the heck" addition.

I have the X-Brake in and it looks great ... unfortunately I needed a new parking brake cable after all and they're on back order so I don't have it functional yet. Hopefully I'll have the cable in a week or so.

- Andrew.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring