Wiring Question - 12v Fuel Pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2016, 09:15 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Wiring Question - 12v Fuel Pump

I am looking to install a sedimenter (from Robert Davis) and 12V fuel pump (Mr Gasket 12D Electric Diesel Fuel Pump from eBay) with my dad, who bloodied his knuckles as a diesel mechanic for the US Marines in Vietnam. In other words, he is the brains and at this point, I’m just the brawn. We’'re stuck on the wiring and could use some help. We have a 1986 ROW 110, with a 200Tdi.

We realize that the pump wiring from a 12V relay is:

86 : ignition circuit - white (+) when key is on
85 : ground (-)
30 : Positive (+) from battery (usually taken off main starter lead)
87 : (+) when key is on

Sadly, I don’'t yet know enough to show my dad where these wires actually are (or are coming from), or where to put the 12v relay, etc. As expected, he doesn’'t want to monkey up the truck, and while he knows diesels, he doesn’'t know rovers. I have searched, but cannot seem to find anything –that makes sense. Mostly, this is because though I'm comfortable with the mechanics of these trucks (with dad's help), the electrical side of the equation has always been my nemesis. Wiring diagrams are like hieroglyphics to me - my eyes glaze over and I don't know what I'm looking at (though I am trying to edumacate myself as much as possible).

Basically, we’re staring at the wires from the 12v pump in one hand, a 12v relay in the other, and the truck in my driveway, and can’t get it figured out just yet. So, what is the best way/place to get a positive wire and an ignition wire, and the best way to add a fuse to that line?

Lastly, any tips on the which fuel line, clamps or other nozzles to use would be most helpful.

Thanks - brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:15 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Up for help from the morning crowd
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
I'm interested in this also. I have one laying around from Davis as well, never got around to digging into it and figuring it out on my own
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:58 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Well, once you get behind the dash you should easily be able to see the cluster of white wires (literally 4-5 white wires joined together). Failing that you can go to the ignition switch and follow the white lead from there.

As far as your + for your 30 pin it can be as simple as wiring it from the battery with an inline fuse. Other locations for Live + are the brown wire at starter, ignition switch or light switch.
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I haven't got around to installing mine yet either. Just another ignorant unfortunately.
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:29 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Send me a PM and I will try to walk you thru this. It's not difficult. If you need me to I can make you the wires.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:47 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

This is how I did it: Fuel pump black wire goes to ground, red wire goes to relay terminal 87. Relay terminal 85 goes to ground and 86 can be any fused power source that comes on with the key. I took mine off of the fuse block. I mounted the relay on the bulkhead in the engine compartment and power to terminal 30 came off of the main power lead from the starter with an inline fuse near the source. I hope this helps.
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you are not planning a whole raft of aftermarket wiring installs....then I would use a waterproof relay and mount it in the battery box with a simple waterproof inline fuse holder. the rest is pretty straightforward.

OTRATTW :: Accessories :: Relays
OTRATTW :: Accessories :: Fuse Holders and Fuses :: Bussmann MINI Fuseholder-HHL

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Also you don't need the 12v pump, to mount the sedimenter Robert sells. I have two, one on my 95 classic 300 tdi, and one on my 94 NAS defender 300 tdi. Neither uses a fuel pump.
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:46 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I haven't got around to installing mine yet either. Just another ignorant unfortunately.
Raub - put this on your schedule for your next trip up. We can do them both at the same time

------ Follow up post added February 10th, 2016 11:47 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Send me a PM and I will try to walk you thru this. It's not difficult. If you need me to I can make you the wires.
Bill - many, many thanks. PM inbound.

------ Follow up post added February 10th, 2016 11:50 AM ------

----------
Oscar, Michael, John, Mark - thank you for the replies. Very helpful and the process is getting clearer.

Said before, and will say again - this community is cool.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions