wiring issue - lights - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

wiring issue - lights

I recently noticed that when I turn on my left turn signal, the brake lights blink and the trailer light on the dash blinks at the same time. When I put my foot on the brake, the front left turn signal also illuminates solid. So I traced it back to the wires that go under the left rear quarter (the wires that run from the undercarriage through the body and come out by the left rear speaker. I was able to slide those wires up and down through the body and the lights returned to normal (so the problem is in there somewhere). Now the problem is back. Any suggestions? I re-taped all of the wires and it didn't help. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2010, 09:34 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Bad earth somewhere
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

I just went through an exercise similar to this but with different symptoms. I found an incorrect mix of bulbs in the rear lights and made sure that the tail/brake lights had a two-nipple(?) bulb w/ a silver base and that the directionals and reverse lamp had single nipple bulbs (to match the number of contacts) with a silver base. The existing bulbs were a mixture of silver and gold bases and single and double nipples. I also sprayed all the connections with contact cleaner and used dielectric grease on them and also on all the bullet connections in the rear of the tub.

I would check the bullet connections first if you've been poking around back there as that can cause all sorts of weird problems. At one point in my cleaning process I left one connector unplugged and one front blinker and one rear side marker came on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

Are the bullets connections mostly inside the by the rear speakers? Access to that area is a bi*** with the jumpseats! Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter View Post
I just went through an exercise similar to this but with different symptoms. I found an incorrect mix of bulbs in the rear lights and made sure that the tail/brake lights had a two-nipple(?) bulb w/ a silver base and that the directionals and reverse lamp had single nipple bulbs (to match the number of contacts) with a silver base. The existing bulbs were a mixture of silver and gold bases and single and double nipples. I also sprayed all the connections with contact cleaner and used dielectric grease on them and also on all the bullet connections in the rear of the tub.

I would check the bullet connections first if you've been poking around back there as that can cause all sorts of weird problems. At one point in my cleaning process I left one connector unplugged and one front blinker and one rear side marker came on.
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORover View Post
Are the bullets connections mostly inside the by the rear speakers? Access to that area is a bi*** with the jumpseats! Thanks for the reply!
Yes, those are the ones I was talking about. Maybe you should start with the bulbs and contacts in the lights. You might get lucky.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

Cleaned and applied dielectric grease to all bullets and bulbs and still have the problem. I am beginning to think it's a loose ground under the middle rear of the frame. Time to get dirty and chase it down I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter View Post
Yes, those are the ones I was talking about. Maybe you should start with the bulbs and contacts in the lights. You might get lucky.
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:08 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Sorry to hear that; looks like a workout now.

Quote:
Cleaned and applied dielectric grease to all bullets and bulbs and still have the problem. I am beginning to think it's a loose ground under the middle rear of the frame. Time to get dirty and chase it down I guess.
Old January 24th, 2010, 03:24 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

I'm clearly not of much use on leccy issues, but thought i'd mention that when i turn on my blinkers, the first blink also illuminates the trailer indicator, but just once on the first flash.

If you have a trailer wiring harness attached, this may indicate usefulness of checking that thing out for shorts, etc.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:15 AM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

Yep, I used to get just the first trailer indicator blink on the dash to when I turned on the signals. Now, with the left turn signal on, the trailer indicator flashes every time. When I turn on the right signal, it flashes just once when you first turn on the left turn indicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicks View Post
I'm clearly not of much use on leccy issues, but thought i'd mention that when i turn on my blinkers, the first blink also illuminates the trailer indicator, but just once on the first flash.

If you have a trailer wiring harness attached, this may indicate usefulness of checking that thing out for shorts, etc.
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:13 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

Follow up to lights issue

Found the source of my brake light turn signal issues. The trailer plug was the culprit. If you have these problems, unplug the trailer plug located under the passenger rear corner of the truck and test. Kind of surpising how much loose wiring there is on these trucks. I used black flex housing to enclose as many wires as possible.

Quote:
I recently noticed that when I turn on my left turn signal, the brake lights blink and the trailer light on the dash blinks at the same time. When I put my foot on the brake, the front left turn signal also illuminates solid. So I traced it back to the wires that go under the left rear quarter (the wires that run from the undercarriage through the body and come out by the left rear speaker. I was able to slide those wires up and down through the body and the lights returned to normal (so the problem is in there somewhere). Now the problem is back. Any suggestions? I re-taped all of the wires and it didn't help. Any advice?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights, wiring