Wiring Issue... Help Please - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:48 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Wiring Issue... Help Please

I need help snaking (or otherwise relocating) a pair of wires in my '84 row 200 tdi that I am using for an electric fan that I am wiring up. All other wiring is complete. I am looking to get the pair of wires from the fuse panel ( just above transmission tunnel, obviously) up to the cigarette lighter / window washer cluster in the middle of the lower dash... Its just about 10" from the fuse panel to the cluster. I can't seem to snake wires... afraid to be too aggressive, might damage other wiring. Any suggestions, pictures or detailed explanations would be appreciated. Do I need to remove a portion of the dash (lower or upper)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:59 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
There is a tray in the dash that is held in by short studs like the old copper nail, they pull out . If you can get the edging off & the tray out the wiring is easier to get to. Not sure what else you have above that tray too cold to check mine right now. They tray will come out just have to see what is in the way first. From there you should be able to get a wire through if I remember correctly.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:01 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Craig-
Thanks for the info. Do you mean the tray that runs the entire length of the dash ( essentially... not where binnacle is)? I also noticed there is some kind of black plastic thing (protective enclosure) that is behind the lighter and window washer wiring. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You have the wire bundle that goes from the fuse box to a channel in the tray. It is pushed flat by the lower dash but you should be able to get to either side of the main bundle. You can use a large wire tie to push up or down to feed in the new wires to the fuse box. Being plastic and pliable you shouldn't do any damage to the existing wires until you find a good path.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:40 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Mike-
That sounds like the ticket.
Thanks
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:00 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Mike, the wire tie trick did the job. I got the large wire tie (my snake) from the dash tray down to the fuse panel on the first shot. Then my wire came off it as I tried to pull it up the channel. Took about 45 minutes to get the were tie snaked through again. This time I drilled a hole in the end of the wire tie and braided a wire to get it through. It was so tight that I had to pull two small wires through and pull my two 14 guage wires through one at a time. Wired up my switch and will finish up connections and hope for the best.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring