Wiring harness - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 28th, 2016, 09:52 AM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 Defender 110 LS, 1993 130 tdi

Wiring harness

As I proceed with my ls swap, a member has put a bug in my ear about replacing the wiring harness on the whole vehicle. It is 30 yrs old and the original lhd v8 110 harness had some in dash splices already. Since my gauges will be swapped out with most likely the Dakota ones, what is everyone's thoughts? The whole engine bay harness will be for the ls now and the gauge harness will be different, so that leaves some odds and ends plus the chassis.,. We plan on relocating / upgrading the fuses under the passenger seat box with the battery to allow us the possibility of mounting a rear aircon under the driver's seat (yes, it fits). We were thinking a painless setup, but I'm worried that this project is spinning out of control..would it be better to buy a lr chassis harness from auto sparks, then modify as necessary? Or. Should I just leave it alone. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2016, 09:53 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stancey View Post
Or. Should I just leave it alone. Thanks
If your current wiring harness is good, I'd say leave it alone and just run pigtails between the new gauges and the old wiring harness.
Old July 28th, 2016, 07:26 PM
stancey
steven stancey

I guess the under dash wiring is a spliced mess, so it will definitely go. Trying to figure out what harnesses I would need. Bulkhead and chassis only??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You should have a bulkhead harness, chassis harness and engine compartment harness. Smaller harness may be a front wing harness each side and a dash gauge loom harness.
Old July 30th, 2016, 11:10 PM
stancey
steven stancey

My bulkhead harness is the one that was all spliced up. How relevant is it if I'm going the ls route? I would hate to spend $400 on a bulkhead harness to cut it to bits...
Old July 30th, 2016, 11:43 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I kept and am using my original harness from 1988.

I was going to use the 1994 harness I had, but since the rest of the truck was 1988, the rest of the truck, or the harness would have been needing a change.

When it comes to putting new instruments in, I may be able to use some of the old harness, will start experimenting with that tomorrow, actually. But making a new harness for the instruments really doesn't seem that bad, now that I've hooked a few of them up for test runs.

Bottom line for me was the how it was easier to just plug back into the rest of the truck. Also, the 1994 harness had at least 2x the number of wires my 1988 harness had. That would be a lot of unused wireds just sitting there for nothing. ...I don't need a door ding, for instance...

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old July 31st, 2016, 01:50 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

I was in the same boat, after reviewing the wiring diagrams, listing what I wanted and the additional switches etc., it was simpler just to make a custom loom from scratch. I swapped the connectors on the column switches for heavy duty blade types and used the later Td5 bulkhead grommets. I also used a GXL wire for the frame side and TXL for behind the dash, all plugs were waterproof where possible.

A few pic's in my rebuild thread, posts #126 - #138.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions