Wiring/Fuse Box help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Wiring/Fuse Box help

Wondering if anyone has a photo of a stock fuse box. I am the 2nd owner of a 95 ST. PO had emergency lights and aux lights (2 pair of Hellas). All lights but one pair of Hellas have been removed. The Hellas are mounted on the bumper and work with the high beams.

I'd like to remove extra wires but don't know what the fuse panel "should" look like before it was altered. I do have a winch but I don't think that goes through the fuse panel, I believe that goes directly to the battery.

I have a battery drain and I am not sure of the culprit. I am not 100% sure it isn't my alternator at this point.

I also do not have any eletrical experience.

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2009, 08:24 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Here is a stock NAS 110 fuse panel.
The only real difference is that a 90 has less relays. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01031.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	17563  

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Purple, Pink and Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Here is a stock NAS 110 fuse panel.
The only real difference is that a 90 has less relays. Hope it helps.
That does, thanks.

I have two purple, one pink and one green wires that are not connected to anything but appear to run out of the AUX slots in the panel. I am thinking that those are from the Hellas I removed. Are the AUX fuses switched or always on? I am looking for one switched fuse to tie in a seat heat element. I think when the shop removed the set on the roof they pulled all the wiring and stuff to the fuse panel but just cut and taped them off there.

I am assuming that green is gounded so that is good. But the pink and purple??

Would wires that are connected to the fuse panel but not anything else cause a slow battery drain? I am trying to decide between a slow drain or a going bad alternator. My battery dies afer a few days of not running the truck.

I have wires into my AC fuses too but I'm not sure what those would be for- ideas? I can't see to tell where they go.

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias

I am assuming that green is gounded so that is good. But the pink and purple??
You know what assuming does...I wouldn't assume anything about colors until you have tested them or seen exactly what they are connected to. Every shop is likely to use different colors for aftermarket installs.

Quote:
Would wires that are connected to the fuse panel but not anything else cause a slow battery drain?
No, not if they are not connected to anything and are properly insulated.

Quote:
I am trying to decide between a slow drain or a going bad alternator. My battery dies afer a few days of not running the truck.
Why have you ruled out the battery? The easiest way to determine if you have a drain is to put a multimeter in series with the battery and see how many amps the car is drawing with everything off. The car will naturally draw a little bit for the ecu and clock etc but I forget exactly what it should be. I think it was discussed it in a thread just a few days ago, so you should be able to do a search and find it on here.
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:35 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede

Why have you ruled out the battery? The easiest way to determine if you have a drain is to put a multimeter in series with the battery and see how many amps the car is drawing with everything off. The car will naturally draw a little bit for the ecu and clock etc but I forget exactly what it should be. I think it was discussed it in a thread just a few days ago, so you should be able to do a search and find it on here.
I haven't driven the truck much in the last year and half that I have owned it. This problem just started in the last week.

I took it to Checker and they tested it all for me. The starter, alternator and battery are all good. I think it might be ignition based since the last time I started it there was some stuttering and then with a little gas it started. That or he's just grumpy that I haven't been around much

Now I am back to cleaning up the fuse/wire mess from all the lights I don't have anymore.

Do all trucks come with the wiring for AC? I have two realy looking things in my passenger footwell that do not have any wires on one side. They are mounted to the truck and wrapped in tape. I can see that they go into the mess of a fuse area but I can't tell if they are wired into fuses or go through the bulkhead there. One is red and the other is black. Probably 10 wires total in that area. I have wires that connect to fuses in the space for AC (according the the fuse cover map) so I was thinking maybe LR put the harness in place.
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I'm not familiar with the 90 specific stuff so maybe someone else can chime in but I would guess that LR probably put a harness in every truck so that it would be easy to add the AC later. All the factory accessories they have now just plug into existing harnesses in the truck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring