Wiring Fuel Pump to a seperate switch, Good or bad idea? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Red face Wiring Fuel Pump to a seperate switch, Good or bad idea?

Well I'm sick and tired of getting towed home from work. Damn fuel pump cut out again. This time I know its the power lead between the pump and the relay. I just changed both the relay and pump only months ago with dielectric grease on the connectors and when I turn the key to the #2 position I hear the relay click. Anyway I'm going to run new leads to the battery with a 10 or 30 amp fuse and a 4 pin relay and a LED switch on the dash. I figure this way it'll be more like a racecar where I can actually turn the pump on and off from a switch. Also its a great theft deterrent as well as a surefire way to keep that pump running since I'm running new leads/swtich/relay. I know it works because I jumped a seperate 12 volt optima to the pump last night and then turned the key and it ran fine even while I revved it. Anyway, what do you guys think about this, I know I could just replace the wire between the relay and the pump but what else is waiting to go wrong between the relay/fuselink/inertia switch/key/battery. Does this make sense?

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'd run a new wire between the existing relay and see how it holds up first, then a new wire off a relay triggered by the ignition being on before going with a switch. It will only be a matter of time until you leave the pump on or something silly.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
PaulMc
Paul McConnell
1989 110 2.5 Turbo-Diesel

Registry
I think that your problem is almost certainly the wire between the relay and the pump.

The loom to the rear of the vehicle runs through the chassis and is notorious for rubbing through the insulation or the copper conductor breaking inside the insulation, near to where it exits from the chassis.

Also check that the loom connector to the pump isn't corroded.

1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

DAMMIT!!! You guys got it on the nail, it was the white / purple stripe wire going to the fuel relay that was bad. It's corroded somewhere in the loom, probably in the chassis. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU white/purple wire!!!!!! Anyway I got a test wire, cut the white / purple wire from the relay and then went around the tne ruck to the fuel pump, ran fine for 20 minutes, son of a B. I had problems with the loom connector a few months ago so i cut it off lol and just spliced it in. I figure one connecter at the fuel pump was enough. Anyway thanks for your help, so glad this won't happen anymore, so embarassing to get towed home, all my neighbors always stop to look shaking their head when the 90 is on a AAA flatbed being backed up into the driveway again. I know what their thinking sons of bitches!!!

Robert Deniro
Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Glad you came to your senses

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, switch, wiring