Defender Source Forum banner

wiring conversion, gas to tdi 300

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  junkyddog11 
#1 ·
I have been told that there is a post on re-wiring the tdi 300 into the D-90 (previously gas) truck.
I have used a variety of search words, but have not been able find anything.
Does anybody the right search phrase would be?
Trying to figure out how to re-wire my engine.

thanks

kim

#2 ·
let's recap.

V8 temp, fuel sender wires go to actual senders on TDI. not sure if you need to replace gauges due to ohms changes.

Fuel level is independent. no change if using your original tank.

ignition wire to fuel stop solenoid.

you'll need ignition hot to a timer relay I believe for your glow plugs.

Everything else can go straight to hell. Please make sure to take your old MAF, coil, plugs, cranksensor and all that other BS out back, clear some ground. douse it in unleaded, then piss on it , light up a stogey and flick your ash on that beeyoch. (feel free to take a dump on it for added effect).

don't look back.

#7 ·
No ****......I do this fairly frequently. Leave it right with the motor. My point was that pulling the complete harness (which is pretty silly as it is about the same and has nothing specific you'd need for a diesel) to make a profit is a waste of time unless your time is worthless. Not sure if MCDB was replying with humor or not but removing the entire harness for a diesel swap is pretty humorous (done it.....not that funny)
If your tdi doesnt have a harness it only takes about 2hrs to make one, with the added benefit of being able to upgrade it a bit so when the 65A alt shits the bed you can have the appropriately sized wire for an upgrade, as well as being able to incorporate the EGT probe (or whatevah?)wiring into it (nice touch eh?). It's not even very difficult to make it plug right into an existing dash harness regardless of what it's going into.
Is it time to offer a conversion harness?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.