Wiring assistance - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 18th, 2013, 06:23 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Wiring assistance

Anyone venture a guess as to the purpose of the two purple wires and the green/red wire that splits to two green/red wires in the harness? I believe they are for the radio and clock, but not sure after looking at the diagrams. I am terrible with wiring and my headlamps still are inop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1415059246.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	80238
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I dont have it in front of me but I believe the green-red is one of the turn signal indicators, and I think purple is an aux power circuit.

You need to download, RAVE, look at circuit diagrams and all your questions will be answered.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

ok 11k and 2 cases of MRE's...lol...I have a similar situation...however my wires are at the other end! They are behind the passenger speaker box coming out of the harness just capped off....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2013, 06:56 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

ha, you dont need any more MREs!

I tore out a bunch of old wiring that the aux lights and headlamp wiring was jerry rigged into. New switches, etc and still no lights. Headlamps only on when momentary brights are on.

Arg
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You need to fat trace with a voltmeter and the circuit diagram. The headlight circuit is pretty simple.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I had a look at Rave. green-red is your left hand signal (which feeds front/rear/side) and the purple, while could be many things, tends to be a main power lead, I see a green/red and a purple running to the hazard switch, and I guess that those leads are supposed to be running either there or to your signals on the column.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Thanks for looking Mark. I read it the same way, but the turn signals and hazards are all operational, hence my confusion. They are both constant power lines.

But, Problem solved! And Im a raging idiot as usual....

The PO wired in his own headlamp relay powered off the purple lines and spliced into the headlamps in the engine bay as well as the front aux lights. I cut all that out and reconnected per factory wiring using RAVE. When I still didnt have headlamps, I assumed my turn signal or light switch or headlamp relay was bad, so I fit new ones but still didn't have headlights. After realizing I did not have power at the headlamps and then fuses 7-10, I went to see if the 15A headlamp relay fuse was good. Well, there was no fuse at position 1... The PO had removed it since he had his own relay/in line fuse for his jerry rigged lighting. I guess I should have checked every fuse relating to the headlamps prior to all this... lesson learned.

Thanks all!
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:17 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
touch them together, see that happens.

-Jeff
ha! I already beat you to it. In my frustration last week, I let those lines dangle and it completely drained my battery. But it was a good excuse to get a Diehard Platinum.
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:12 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Which manuals are those diagrams from? I'm looking at a 40 page "Electric Circuit Diagrams" Land Rover manual, full color. But yours breaks it down with that key...

Those two lines are full purple and have continuous power. My clock and interior lights are operational. Looking at a Power Distribution Diagram, 3 purple lines from Header Joint K109 go to Passenger Compartment Fusebox (P101), Service Engine Timer (D151), and Radio/Cassette Power Amplifier (F111). Hmmm
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:25 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Thanks!
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:32 PM
beladidze
konstantin
97 D90

Hi i am new to this forum as there anybody has a picture of the back of fuse box i need to see wires going in to relay
97 D90

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions