Wiper slack - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Wiper slack

My windshield wipers have a tremendous amount of slack in the linkage. At rest, I can probably move the wipers in an arc of about 45 degrees before they stop. This translates into an erratic movement when they're on (they probably stop for 1/2 second at the end of the sweep each way.)

Is this characteristic of these vehicles or is there a bushing repair kit or other fix that's available to remove all of the slop in the wiper linkage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2007, 05:59 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
The OEM wipers work great with no slack. Aftermarket wipers tend to be a little sloppy when clicked into place.

97 D90 SW
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:47 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
The OEM wipers work great with no slack. Aftermarket wipers tend to be a little sloppy when clicked into place.
When I read back over my original question, I realized it may not have been very clear. To clarify: the slack I'm experiencing has nothing to do with the wiper blades or the wiper arms. What I'm talking about is the mechanism by which the arms/blades are actually moved. For example, if there is a great deal of slack in the wiper linkage (the parts in between the dash and the windshield frame), movement by the wiper motor will not be directly translated into movement in the wiper arms/blades. My wiper motor works fine, as do the arms and blades. What I believe to be the problem is with the linkage and the corresponding bushings. If that's NOT the problem, I can't figure out why the arms can be moved so easily and the arms stop for a short period of time at the end of each sweep......I'm just wondering if there's a bushing replacement kit that'll tighten everything up...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Ah....okay.
Have you made sure to tighten the allen screw that attaches everything together on the outside of the truck? Sometimes these get loose and rust. They will seem tight to the allen wrench, but are loose.
There is a thread somewhere on here that addresses the loose wiper subject.

Follow-up Post:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...referrerid=292

97 D90 SW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac