Wiper Motor Q - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2008, 01:01 AM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Wiper Motor Q

Did a quick search and didn't immediatly see what I was looking for, got bored of searching, so here it goes.

Whenever I turn on my front windshield wipers it takes a good two to three seconds for them to start up. Once they are going it is like watching the. "Little Train that Could" traveling across the windscreen and I'm expecting them to stop mid-stroke. I mean it's almost painful! The worst part is the laughter from my wife as she is making fun of their anemic performance The wiper blade inserts are not the problem, I think. Is this OEM type performance or should I start worrying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Mine are pretty lively. Does it do the same both in slow and fast? How about intermittant?

May just need the pivot points to be greased, possibly the gearbox on the motor is gummed up, I'd also check the voltage leading to the motor.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Andrew,

Mine are the same way and I attribute it to a twenty year old truck. I once read a thread on this but can't recall if it was on this board or another. I will do what I can to keep this thread alive until we solve this.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2008, 08:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Probally something from lack of use. I know when I start mine they act sort of sickly but will get going after a while. Consider how old the wipers are and how much use they have probally had, I know mine have been used but probally a whole lot less than many other 12 year old vehicles on the road...
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Usually problems like this are caused by either the adapters slipping on the shaft or bad gear boxes/cables. I would try tightening the adapters first. They slide onto the shaft on the outside and the wiper mounts to them. There is a small hex set screw that you need to tighten. Unfortunately they are often seized so this may be more difficult than it sounds. Good luck!
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:03 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Thanks to everyone for the replies! Living in SoCal during drought time is probably pretty hard on the wipers as they are rarely used. I think I've used them more this month than the last three years combined. I'm diving in this weekend and will let you know what I find.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
motor