Wiper limits - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 29th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
Wiper limits

The wipers on my 94 have a small issue, for the most part they work exactly as intended, but for some reason every once in awhile (once every 15 wipes or so) while driving they will continue beyond the limit and the drivers side wiper actually leaves the windscreen and crosses over the weatherstripping to the painted frame. They also tend to slip down the screen when not in use and I go over bumps. Any thoughts as to what may be the cause of this intermittent problem.

I have tightened down the little screws that keep the wiper arms in position on the motors so I have a feeling the root cause is deeper in the motor assembly.

Thanks,
S-P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2010, 06:37 PM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

I will add that mine do the same thing with the added interesting feature that they speed up and sweep farther as engine revs increase. I assume this is due to the voltage change or amperage increasing with engine revs. Your might be erratic current or simply a another wonderful "design" feature from Land Rover. In any event the sweep is hardly precise under the best of circumstances.
Old January 31st, 2010, 08:04 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
Well, I guess I can say I'm glad to hear that it is common and you would be absoloutely correct about it happening with engine revs despite my not noticing it before you said something. Hrm...wondering if I can't install a voltage regulator in line and stop it as it is quite maddening. This should be relatively easy, but if anyone has ever done something of the sort please chime in.

S-P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2010, 10:32 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

My drivers side wiper does this, too, frequently. I also have problems with the wipers stopping halfway across the windscreen or not going up at all. I believe this is due to a faulty steering column switch, which I intend to replace when I finish the drivetrain project. I've noticed that my wipers also have a bit of play in the arms. I wonder if I should just replace the whole arm.
Old January 31st, 2010, 10:52 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Until mine does that, I'll just say that your rides are all on drugs.....or could it be me?

I actually noticed different stopping points of the wipers according to when I shut the off?
And I love you too
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:24 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I'm having the same problems but my passenger side is so f'd up that I had to remove the whole damn wiper arm. Now I'm with one wiper and it really sucks to be a passenger when it rains or snows.
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:12 PM
gas-man
Robert/Mazzarella
97/D90 ST: Sold

Clay or anyone else,
How did you remove the wiper arm? I checked my manual and it stated I needed to use a small screw driver to hold the retaining spring in place. Not having much luck with that guidance. Thanks. Rob
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:58 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I recently had my truck inspected and the guy threatened to fail me because the wipers did not come to rest within 3" of the bottom of the windshield (apparently that is VA state requirement)...instead they both stop about 5" up. They move in sequence and stop at approximately the same angle/location so I am hesitant to mess with it but is there some simple adjustment that I am missing?
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:18 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
I recently had my truck inspected and the guy threatened to fail me because the wipers did not come to rest within 3" of the bottom of the windshield (apparently that is VA state requirement)...instead they both stop about 5" up. They move in sequence and stop at approximately the same angle/location so I am hesitant to mess with it but is there some simple adjustment that I am missing?
Such a stupid rule, so I guess technically no CJ's or YJ Wranglers are legal to drive in VA?
God i hate what inspections have become... basically the state saying they only want you to drive stock '98 civics
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Agreed...almost as good as the "your gas cap doesn't hold enough pressure so you have to buy one from us if you want to pass" line that I also got! Luckily the guy gave me my sticker with the promise that I would fix them before next year!
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:10 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

The wipers on these trucks just plain suck. I was driving in a heavy rain storm several years back. I had the wipers on as fast as they could go. As I'm driving down the freeway, both arms pop off and get lodged in the front cage crossbar. There was nothing I could do, so I had to drive with my head out the window to see where I was going...think Ace Ventura. I guess I could have pulled over but that would have been too easy.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Remove the wiper arms (they are splined) and angle them down to get to within 3in. Have it inspected next year, then put them back to where they were.
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:55 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526 View Post
I was driving in a heavy rain storm several years back.

What the HELL were you doing driving in the rain with your truck????
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You need to tighten the wheel box for the wiper. It is quick and easy and takes most of the slack out.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=12093
Old June 4th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
LOL, don't the old Ford Broncos have the wipers mounted at the top of the screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Such a stupid rule, so I guess technically no CJ's or YJ Wranglers are legal to drive in VA?
God i hate what inspections have become... basically the state saying they only want you to drive stock '98 civics
Old June 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

For what it's worth, I replaced my steering column switch and it didn't fix the problem. I'm going to read that LR4x4 thread now.
Old June 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
What the HELL were you doing driving in the rain with your truck????
Believe it or not, it used to be my daily driver but this time I had just blown the head gaskets on my '73 benz and it was the only car I had to drive.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:59 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
LOL, don't the old Ford Broncos have the wipers mounted at the top of the screen?
i believe so, i think some really early FJ's and WWII Jeeps too. I'd love to see a VA cop stop R. Lee Ermy in his WWII Jeep...
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:09 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yes, old Broncos (66-77) have the wipers mounted to the top of the windshield...to make it even better electric wipers didn't even come around until the early 70's so trucks like my '69 had vacuum wipers. Talk about inconsistent (not to mention not synchronized)!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions