wiper issues (revisited) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
wiper issues (revisited)

Recently, my wipers have decided to only make a pass or two at a time before stopping in various places in the windshield. If i turn them off and then back on, they usually complete their journey and come to rest in the appropriate place. I've seen lots of posts on the board about wipers not parking correctly and / or the intermittent wipers not working at all, but mine just seem to be lazy. Has anyone else had this happen? I plan to replace the motor and park switch, but before i take the entire dash apart, i thought i would ask.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2010, 08:36 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Check the point where the wiper arm mounts to the drive arm. Your symptoms sound like the little retaining bolt (retaining allen head) is loose. You may have to first pull the arm to see the little round splined piece that has the retaining bolt. To remove the arm you should be able to lift the arm to remove the pressure on the splines and pull straight off.

hth
charles
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:59 AM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
thank you charles, ill try that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2010, 10:01 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I should have mentioned that to test this, just try move the wiper arm before doing anything else. It should hardly move if ok, but if it is loose you'll know right way.
Old October 16th, 2010, 07:53 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
finally got around to this. I don't see where the retaining bolt is. I see a hex where the drive arm attaches to the car. THe entire drive arm is a bit loose.
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Here is the piece I am talking about. Hope the picture is clear enough
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05145.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	32262  
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:45 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
Thank you Charles. Ill take a look at it tonight. I realized that the wipers werent parking either, so im replacing the switch, but i might as well replace those pieces while im at it. Where did you get that one?
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I think RN, but any of the parts guys should carry it.
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
RN has them for about $12 each

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6...iper-arm-.aspx
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

RDS has them for $5
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:14 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett View Post
Recently, my wipers have decided to only make a pass or two at a time before stopping in various places in the windshield. If i turn them off and then back on, they usually complete their journey and come to rest in the appropriate place. I've seen lots of posts on the board about wipers not parking correctly and / or the intermittent wipers not working at all, but mine just seem to be lazy. Has anyone else had this happen? I plan to replace the motor and park switch, but before i take the entire dash apart, i thought i would ask.

Thanks
Your problem sounds more like a wiper motor on its way out than a slipping drive flange on the wiper wheel box's.
No need to take the "whole dash apart"
Just the padded wiper cover above your left knee and possibly loosten the instrument pod. Park switch is built into the motor.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:53 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Doug, on my 90 the driver side wipes perfectly fine. The passenger side seems weak and unable to do the job when the wiper arm is in place. It sort of slips. I thought it was a bead drive flange at first. I replaced the drive flange and it still "slips" under load, otherwise I can see the flange turn in sync when the arm is off. What do you think I've got here?
Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Doug, on my 90 the driver side wipes perfectly fine. The passenger side seems weak and unable to do the job when the wiper arm is in place. It sort of slips. I thought it was a bead drive flange at first. I replaced the drive flange and it still "slips" under load, otherwise I can see the flange turn in sync when the arm is off. What do you think I've got here?
Clay,
Behind the dash (remove top pad ) are the wheel boxes that are driven by a cable/worm gear. There is a bendable tab in the middle of these box's that you are meant to tweak inward when the gear starts slipping as you indicate. Bending the tab pushes the cable into closer contact with the drive gear. This adjustment is detailed nicely in the factory workshop manuals.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 17th, 2012, 05:58 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
Bendable tab

Doug or anyone else who might know,

Where is the "bendable tab" you mentioned? I need to tighten up the linkage to my wipers. I have the dash open and can see the internal drive gear for the wipers, but not sure what I need to tighten
Old November 18th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks for the tip Charles! I just checked and both of mine have substantial play in them. Only problem is my metric allen keys don't seem to fit. Neither 2.5 or 3MM fits. Is it it not metric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Check the point where the wiper arm mounts to the drive arm. Your symptoms sound like the little retaining bolt (retaining allen head) is loose. You may have to first pull the arm to see the little round splined piece that has the retaining bolt. To remove the arm you should be able to lift the arm to remove the pressure on the splines and pull straight off.

hth
charles
Old November 18th, 2012, 03:13 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Mine used to jump about a bit ... I did the tab trick and greased everything but what actually fixed it was opening up the motor and finding a lose washer jammed in the gears.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Imperial 3/32 did the trick but they seem to be rusted shut. Might have to drill them out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions