wiper drive arm removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 18th, 2010, 01:20 PM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
wiper drive arm removal

is there a trick to it? My wipers aren't lined up correctly, and i need to take one off and reposition it. I would assume you would typically just lift up the drive arm until it locks into position and pull, but it doesnt seem to come off and i don't want to break anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There is a set screw. Pretty sure it is an allen head.
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:51 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
Thanks ron. Im pretty sure you can remove them without removing the set screw, as the set screw actually holds the splined piece in place and the drive arm slides over it. I've had them off before, but i didn't have a windscreen at the time so i just knocked them out with a rubber mallet. with the windscreen on it seems pretty difficult
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

the set screw is on the drum adapter (d-shaped shaft on the ID and a spline on the OD). The set screw usually strips, BTW. The spline interfaces with the wiper arm. This spline allows more fine adjustment of the arm angle when parked, etc. There is a little tab that has to be depressd to get the arm off of the drum adapter...but the splines are usually half rusted together. A little penetrating oil can help. Rocking motion. Then the cursing will begin....

the Rovers North catalog page shows the drum adapter, FWIW
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:59 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
Thanks Tony. Ill figure out how to push down the tab and get them to come off. While the splines arent rusted, im staying away from the allen bolt as im pretty sure i tried to drill out the rusted bolt a few years ago and it still wouldn't come off. As i don't have a grinder, im just glad its all rusted together so i don't have to grind off and replace Just need to straighten these damned things
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:00 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

BTW - it's sometimes easier to see the little tab from inside the cab looking at the back of the wiper arm where it goes on the drum adapter. I said 'depressed' but I can't actually remember if it needs to be pushed toward the shaft or pried away from it.

I ended up getting new drum adapters - and had to drill out the set screws to get the old ons off. Basically, the set screw got worn where it pushed on the shaft flat, but I couldn't tighten it because it had frozen and the socket stripped. So if your wipers home position is changing (rotational slop), that could be the issue.
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:02 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
Ill keep that in mind. Thanks again, Tony
Old November 18th, 2010, 04:56 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I think you pry the tab away from the splined part. But I find if you lift the wiper arm and take the spring tension off it (perhaps even pushing back inward slightly at the point of the arm pivot as you pull on the other side), it should pull right out with a little pressure.
Old November 18th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

A long time bodge for worn splines is a dab of Loctite. Could be why you are having difficulty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions