Wiper Blades going haywire... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 18th, 2005, 12:43 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Wiper Blades going haywire...

Hi All,

Sorry for all the questions, but my first month as a D90 owner is workin' me well I guess.
Its been raining in So-cal for the last few days. Using my wipers, this is what happens:

Driver side wiper (left), wipes on a large arc that goes beyond the glass, mostly on the bottom, but also on the top/left section. The passenger side one, functions normally. I looked into the online PDF file that I got for the shopmanual, and there is no picture of the wiper assembly.

Does anyone have a diagram of :

1. How to get to the wiper blade assembly, or even a hint on how to do this. I.e., do i need to take the dash apart?

2. Maybe a scanned shop manual diagram of how the links for the wiper blades are supposed to be.

Thanks for any help.

-arbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Marc Weinstein
Marc Weinstein
defender 90 '94

Welcome to the club- Try to remove and reseat in the correct position the allen screw that holds the wiper arm on it's shaft on the out side of the truck. That will bring it more into line. I don't think it will ever br perfect. But definitly better than you describe. Good luck, Marc
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would not try and remove the allen stud, and it is not necessary to reseat the wipers--just fold the wipers up (so they stick out from the truck) and rock the assembly gently back and forth while pulling out--they slip off of the splined round part that has the allen screw in it (that part stays attached)--then you can change the position of the wiper on the stud. The part that comes out of the bulk head has one side that is flattened that the allen screw goes against, so that the position of this piece is already dictated to one position. You will probably strip the head of the allen screw anyways and have to drill it out. It sounds like your wipers may be a bit long, too. They should both be 14".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2005, 02:30 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

I soaked the little allen screws in WD-40 overnight and they surprisingly both came out with the help of a substantial allen wrench. I order 2 new disc's (the little piece the wipers attach to) from Rovers Down South for like $8, remounted everything and now they work like new. No slippage and stop right where they are supposed when shut off.

Good luck!
Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:07 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Marc, Chris and Michael,

That was the problem. I soaked it in Liquid Wrench overnight, took it out, cleaned all the rust, tightened the nut, put grease under the plastic cap, reset the wiper holder, and it works like a champ!

Thanks guys. I think once the rains stop, I'll do the same to the other side too....then again, maybe not. Dont fix it till its broke I guess...I got plenty to fix on this yet.

Your help is greately appreciated.

-arbi

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions