Wiper Blade? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 8th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Vunkle
Virgil Broussard
1997 defender 90

Wiper Blade?

What wiper blades do you use or recommend? I need to get new ones, so i'm looking for the best option.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I couldn't find any snow blades in 13" at the store, but needed a set in a pinch last weekend, so Windex or Rainex off the shelf at Sears for $5/ea.

Where do I find the snow blades in 13" (covered in the rubber skirt) ?
Old December 8th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Everyone will probably recommend SilBlades. They are okay. They last a really long time, I had mine for over 6 years and they still worked well. My main complaint is that they don't work well when there is just a little water on the windscreen. They have to be really wet to work well.
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2014, 10:34 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Well, I've got a crazy wiper question that I'm sure is easily answered by you guys...

When I was doing my mini-restoration on my truck, I had an order in at LRseries and I through in a set of blades just for the hell of it. They came with the order and the connection looked like nothing I had ever seen. My wiper arms have some type of adapter at the base on it with a modern hook type arm. I was able to go down to the parts store and just snap new ones on.

What's the deal?

------ Follow up post added December 8th, 2014 10:35 PM ------

PS- I just got some el cheapo blades and they work fine on the nearly flat glass.
Old December 8th, 2014, 10:45 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Everyone will probably recommend SilBlades. They are okay. They last a really long time, I had mine for over 6 years and they still worked well. My main complaint is that they don't work well when there is just a little water on the windscreen. They have to be really wet to work well.
True but they do work really well and coat the screen with a rainx type coating. So water beads off them better.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 8th, 2014, 10:45 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I find my wipers struggle with silblades with little rain.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old December 8th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Wait like 2 weeks and Rockauto will have a spam post on here with $3 wiper blades or $6 brake pads
Old December 8th, 2014, 10:54 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I like my Silblades. Expensive as hell, but will last at least six years minimum.
Considering on average normal rubber blades should be replace about once a year though, the cost averages out.
They are made of silicone so they are impervious to freezing temperatures and extreme heat and harsh road chemicals.
Old December 8th, 2014, 11:09 PM
DBrands
David Brandson
D90 Truckcab

Registry
I had some blades that came with "wipes", and they worked great for 6 months of PNW rain. Main ingredient of wipes was apparently isopropyl alcohol. After 6 months they became streaky. Maybe due to debris from off-roading.

I have found that wiper blades are only half the story. A good washer fluid has made it night and day for me and rejuvenated the efficiency of the wiper blades. I have had good experience with RainX both summer and winter mixes. Beads the water really well. Can pretty much drive without wipers in all but major downpours. Not that I do... For safety sake...right?
Old December 9th, 2014, 03:04 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrands View Post
I had some blades that came with "wipes", and they worked great for 6 months of PNW rain. Main ingredient of wipes was apparently isopropyl alcohol. After 6 months they became streaky. Maybe due to debris from off-roading.

I have found that wiper blades are only half the story. A good washer fluid has made it night and day for me and rejuvenated the efficiency of the wiper blades. I have had good experience with RainX both summer and winter mixes. Beads the water really well. Can pretty much drive without wipers in all but major downpours. Not that I do... For safety sake...right?
I was going to say, rainex and some speed seem to solve most of my wiper woes.

Not familiar with Silblades but a combination of the two should make short work of rain/snow

http://www.silblade.com/Wiper-Search_ep_64.html

pfft, $25! Thats a no-brainer
Old December 9th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Vunkle
Virgil Broussard
1997 defender 90

Thanks guys. I know it's like putting glitter on a turd, but anything to help the already weak wipers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions