Wiper Arm Stripped Out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2015, 06:18 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Wiper Arm Stripped Out

OK everyone, I think this is a simple one but want to make sure.

A while back I remembered that my passenger side wiper arm popped off while driving, which was kind of a surprise. I pressed the "latch tong" back in so it would catch the spindle and pressed it back on.

I pulled it off today just as a check as I am going to be driving up to Portland (1,000 miles or so) and wanted to make sure it was going to work OK. I noticed that the drive splines on the wiper arm look pretty degraded, to the point of being stripped.

I am having a hard time finding a picture of what they should be looking like, and if I need to get new drive splines as well on the bulkhead side. In fact, some of the pictures I found show a nut holding the wiper on, which I certainly do NOT have.

Can someone tell me if these are normal defender wiper arms? With my truck's complex history I don't know what it might be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-22 14.08.03.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	114383   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-22 14.07.57.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	114384  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2015, 06:52 PM
snowpup
Jeff Snow
1997 D90

yes, those are the normal pieces. the knurled piece on the drive side is replaceable (small allen set screw). try that first - as its the cheap solution. if the wiper arm socket is stripped you'll need both.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 06:54 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I think those are adaptors that come off with a set screw. If so they are super cheap and easily replaceable.

Part number STC987
Trevor has them for $4.72 each
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:23 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah the spindles on the truck look fine, it's the wiper arm that needs some love.

I'll wait until we get to Portland and then have the whole kit (2 spindles and 2 arms) shipped to the hotel. I don't know how much PNW rain the current setup will handle....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:27 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Make sure you can remove the little screw from those things. I had to cut mine off.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 08:54 PM
BullTrout14
Brian
1985/Defender 110

Registry
I recently replaced both the spindle and the arm on mine as well, the play was definitely in the spindle but figured I might as well replace the whole shot at once. I had to drill out the set screw on both sides as they wouldn't budge. If you do this just make sure you don't drill too far into the bolt coming out of the bulkhead on the vehicle.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:49 PM
Sned
Ed
1994 NAS D90

Registry
Looks land even the wiper arms are quite inexpensive from RN.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
trip