Winter is coming stretch out your top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 1st, 2014, 12:06 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Winter is coming stretch out your top

Ok so my tickford likes to do a little shrinking when off the truck. I am sure this holds true for a lot of other manufacturers as well. Hmm what to do. Well I went on either eBay or Amavpn and got three widest mouth vice grips I could find and put my top on the truck (not fastening it down just tucking in the belt rail). Next using a cheap s hook I affixed one end to the vice grips and the other to a ratchet strap wrapped hooked to any undercarriage anchor point I could find. I parked the truck in the sun (though a space heater in the truck will do as well and over a few afternoons was able to keep applying ratchet strap pressure to stretch the top out. Problem solved. Though I did spend $200 to get a "press and snap" snap tool witch is a totally awesome tool for replacing a busted snap or grommet. Just thought I would share
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	106115  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2014, 08:40 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Great idea... Where did you get the snap tool? Need o fix a couple of snaps...
Old November 1st, 2014, 09:04 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Great idea. I've got a suggestion: You can replace the knurled bolt in the end of the vice grip with an eyebolt to adjust the clamping force and attach the ratchet strap to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2014, 03:51 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Clay,
That's not the original top from when you bought it from me all those years ago?
Dennis
1993 NAS D-110 #55 (GNUTRUK)
2004 Disco II (DSCO DOG)
Old November 1st, 2014, 11:03 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Dennis,
Sure is ! It is still going. Now granted I have had the windows, zippers and Velcro redone but it is still going . I will never be without a tickford. The test of the truck is just slightly modified from when you sold it to me... Was that 2006 or 07? Can't remember. I hope you are doing well.

------ Follow up post added November 1st, 2014 11:05 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
Great idea. I've got a suggestion: You can replace the knurled bolt in the end of the vice grip with an eyebolt to adjust the clamping force and attach the ratchet strap to.
Either that or have some eyelets welded on. Thank you for the suggestion

------ Follow up post added November 1st, 2014 11:09 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbull View Post
Great idea... Where did you get the snap tool? Need o fix a couple of snaps...
I think I got mine off of eBay. It is called the "press and snap" tool. It is 1000% better than trying to use the kit you get at Home Depot.

You can also buy male snap screws. I affixed a belt rail to my 94 nas tub with them and relocated any snaps on the tickford using the press and snap so I can run belt rail type set ups or tickford (snap type) set ups.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags