wing top vent covers for winter - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 13th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

Unhappy wing top vent covers for winter

Hey guys,

I tried searching the site for a source or a picture of a wing top vent cover to use during the winter. I found my heater vent side packed with snow this morning.

I have seen what I think is called a wolf vent on MOD rovers.

I bought the aluminumn ones from a guy on the board and didnt think snow would get in! but it does.

So now I am looking for a domed type one to use during wonter to keep snow out.

So far I have looked on:

Rovers North

Rovers Down South

Atlantic British

Ebay US and UK

and had no luck finding one. Any help would be appreciated.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Big D
Daniel Brown

HERE YOU GO. i DONT HAVE THAT PROBLEM IN SAVANNAH BUT THERE WEBSITE STATES THEY ARE DESIGNED FOR THAT NEED.

http://www.americandirtroads.com/catairintakes.html
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:45 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

I contacted LenB a week or so ago about the same issue and he worked up a prototype and was going to make some. I have not heard back from him yet. Maybe he will chime in.

A French company was selling plastic ones on eBay awhile ago and RoversNorth does sell one for $209. It was in their latest catalog.

SNOW SHIELD HEATER INTAKE LHD DEFENDER WOLF STYLE SKU:PLH690Price:$208.95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter
A French company was selling plastic ones on eBay awhile ago and RoversNorth does sell one for $209. It was in their latest catalog.

SNOW SHIELD HEATER INTAKE LHD DEFENDER WOLF STYLE SKU:PLH690Price:$208.95
I think this is what you are talking about but does anyone have any experience with them? I like the idea that snow and rain won't fall in but I was concerned about it creating a venturi effect that would cause less air to enter the heater (the last thing a rover needs). Has anyone actually used it and what kind of results have you had?
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:59 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

As far as I'm concerned, all these add-ons that protrude above the fender look like crap.

I've said it over and over...replumb the intake to go to the front and forget this piece of shit design!

Of course, I haven't done this yet so do as I say...

As for a temporary snow cover, just cut a piece of plastic and rivet on a couple of spring clips to engage in the grid. Pop-on and pop-off as needed.
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:21 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

i have the covers from American dirt roads. really just one on the heater intake. I'm not sure it boosts performance of the heater like some claim but it definitely keeps out the weather. Just snowed here yesterday and no snow in the vent just pushed off a little bit in front of the vent on the fender and good to go. I also have len's rear speaker boxes. All products are top notch! Took probably like 2 weeks to get everything. Even refunded some shipping money! buy with confidence!
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:30 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
wing top intake snow cover

Hi all,
Gary asked to see if I could come up with something that functioned similar to the Wolf design. I haven't made any yet - I only produced a "tin" prototype to test the design concept. I haven't made any yet because I was busy designing and building a new box for another board member to fit off the front of his tuffy console. I posted pics of the design concept. It opens on the side with a little overhang. If enough people are interested I can crank a few out- they would be made of aluminum sheet metal and wouldn't look too different than the tin model. Just cleaned up and put together with solid constrction. This unit cannot be made with the same simple design as my regular air intake unless I was a welder - as of yet I don't weld ... sorry.

I would charge $35 for this air intake snow cover, it would attach with the same screws used to hold the plastic air intake grill and would be painted flat black.

On a note about improved air flow into the interior of the truck with my air intake scoop. To improve the effectiveness of air comming into the cabin -you have to let air out of the cabin. Crack the window or make a vent in the back of the truck to reduce the air pressure bullt up in the truck from the forced air intering through the heater. You will be surprised how toasty your feet will get when you let some of the air out of the interior of your truck when the ventilation fan is blowing in winter.

The simplist solution is not drawing the fresh air from the front of the truck, but from the side of the front wing. Snow rarely sticks to the vertical surface of your front wing. Take a look at any Seriies II, IIa or III the fresh air for the heater is taken from the side! When I restored my '64 Series IIa 109 5 door wagon I thought iwas a pain in the ass to re install the Kodiak heater but it made total sense to put the intake off the side. I don't know why LR made the design change because the old design works so well. Maybe they made the change because it is a pain in the ass to work on!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowvent1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	11378   Click image for larger version

Name:	snowvent2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	11379  

Name:	snowvent3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	11380   Click image for larger version

Name:	snowvent4.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	11381  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:45 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

So, it's simpler to cut a hole in the fender than clipping a flexible hose to just behind the radiator? Not for me. For Tdi versions I certainly don't want two holes in the fender.

To each his own...
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:13 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
That makes sense

I wasn't saying that it is easier for you to cut a hole in the side of your truck - I was referring to the change LR made to the original design of pulling fresh air to the heater from the side of the truck.

Now to play devils advocate....and a chance to be a smart ass. I guess you are right ! Clipping a hose right behind the radiator ( I assume inside the engine bay) is a great way to get WARM air. The added perks to that would include drawing in the odors that complement a running engine - so you'll be allerted at the first signs of any oil, seeping fluids ( radiator coolant, power steering etc) that hits any heated metal and begins to vaporize. I'll bet you have hit on a great idea -- VDO will probably be making "sniffer gauges" to detect and differenciate the types and amount of "stink" generated under the bonnet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ahhhh, that's the website I was looking for. I want to get around to eventually ordering his speaker boxes.... after I eventually get around to removing those last two corner pieces of the long un-installed rear cage.

Len, any chance of making new dashboard cowlings in metal in the future? That part behind the gauge panel seems to be a common failure from the plastic, and I'd hate to order another plastic one, knowing it will eventually fail again.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:14 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Ahhhh, that's the website I was looking for. I want to get around to eventually ordering his speaker boxes.... after I eventually get around to removing those last two corner pieces of the long un-installed rear cage.

Len, any chance of making new dashboard cowlings in metal in the future? That part behind the gauge panel seems to be a common failure from the plastic, and I'd hate to order another plastic one, knowing it will eventually fail again.

-Hans
Hi Hans,

I am not sure what dash board cowling your are referring to. Post a pic with an arrow pointing to the part you are interested in.
Are you referring to the instument cluster cowling that houses the Speedo, gas, coolant temp, tach gauges and and the indicator lamps? Because I actually made one of those out of stainless - It looked very similar to the stock unit and was kick ass - but I choose too thick of metal which made it very heavy. After I installed it, I took it off. I felt it would for sure snap the two upper plactic flanges with the clip nuts from "shear loading" (both side to side and verticle) when off roading. I have thought about redesinging a new one - very simple and similar in design to my dash center console made with aluminum and pop rivets. It would tie in at the same hardpoints the factory unit uses. Since my instrument cluster cowling hasn't broken yet and "public blow back" has made it clear they don't like the military look.....I haven't take the time to make one. I have attached a pic of two of the remaining pieces I haven't cut up for recycle to to smaller parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	protodash.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	11395  

Old December 17th, 2007, 08:21 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Len I believe he's referring to the heat duct on top of the dash up against the windscreen. I would also be interested if you have the ability to fab these.
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Nope, actually I am thinking of the piece immediately behind the one in the picture. In fact, I was referring to the part you were concerned about breaking.... because they do break, often. I'll try and snap a photo tomorrow of mine while it's light out still.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Jason,
I bought one from p. a. Blanchard...you can get them for the right or left wing top vent...cost was a lot less than Rovers North...
George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WolfSnowCover.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	11402  
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

Thumbs up

Hello guys,

Thanks for all the replies. The one that I am looking for is like the one George posted.

I dont plan on running it all year, just during the winter months.

George can you provide a web site from where you got yours.

Thanks again for all the help guys !

Jason
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:06 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
http://www.pablanchard.co.uk/spares.asp
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter2904
Thanks for all the replies. The one that I am looking for is like the one George posted.
I know you found what you're looking for, but for posterity I thought I'd add a couple of others that I've seen.

The "scoop" version shown mounted on the checkerplate is from the Bearmach Defender catalog. The taller looking scoop with the vertical intake hole is from LandyAccessories.com. The "louver" version is an LRX product, also in the Bearmach catalog.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9130026WEB.gif
Views:	128
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	11408  
Attached Images

Old December 17th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Jason... see www.pablanchard.co.uk and email them to ask about the Wolf wing vent snow cover...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cover, wing