Windshield wiper arms? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo
1983 110, 1985 110, 1993 110...

Windshield wiper arms?

Should the arms simply "pop" off the splined adapters? When I pull my wiper arms off the glass with the smallest bit of wiggling I can pull the entire arm off. My gut reaction is to glue the arm to the splined adapter. Would this be the wrong thing to do?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Are you talking about when they are flat against the winshield? Or if you have the arms pulled away from the glass?

If it's when they are flat against the glass, then you have some kind of problem. If it's when they are lifted away from the glass, then it's how they are supposed to work.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:43 AM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo

Sorry I should have been more clear. I meant with the wiper arm pulled out away from the glass, I can, fairly easily disengage the wiper arm and pull it free. So that is the way they are supposed to work?

I thought mine were worn out or something. I took the splined adapters off and sand blasted the rust off of them and then gunkoted them for corrosion resistance.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yep, you're fine. They have a bit of a clamping mechanism in there at the bottom. When you pull them away from the glass, it releases the clamp.

But don't think you wasted your time by blasting the adapters clean. Eventually you may want to remove the arms for some other reason, and will be thankful that they actually come off! Very common for them to be siezed in place.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:40 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

mine were siezed I had to drill them out....
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:50 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Yep, you're fine. They have a bit of a clamping mechanism in there at the bottom. When you pull them away from the glass, it releases the clamp.

But don't think you wasted your time by blasting the adapters clean. Eventually you may want to remove the arms for some other reason, and will be thankful that they actually come off! Very common for them to be siezed in place.

-Hans
So basically I got luckey huh? Ohhhh I figger that any time spent making ANYTHING on a Defender Rust Proof is time WELL spent.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Old December 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSC_GUY
So basically I got luckey huh? Ohhhh I figger that any time spent making ANYTHING on a Defender Rust Proof is time WELL spent.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Oddly enough, my right wiper arm came off the adaptor, and both connecting points were stripped and rusty. Just ordered the arm (22 bucks) and the adaptor (11 bucks) from RDS, in case you were wondering about replacement cost.
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Had to drill out both of mine. What a pain in the a**.

Put new adaptors on and just ordered a spare set just to have.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions