Windshield sprayer options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 14th, 2007, 10:00 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Windshield sprayer options

Any suggestions on new windshield sprayers? I keep breaking the one off under the windshield and in is such PITA to get to. I was thinking about a splitter and tubes running to the wipers, then have a sprayer attached at the end of the tubes on the wipers. anyone know of any kits out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2007, 12:36 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I think the goal is to get them further away from the windshield for better coverage. I would drill a couple holes on the hood and install a dual spray unit (two sprayers with two holes each) from any car.

Then you can run the tubes straight to them under the hood and not through the dash. I had the tube disconnect from mine inside the dash once and it sure made a mess - also a pain in the ass to reconnect (through the ashtray).

Finally, if you go to a junkyard you can get the sprayers, tubes and heater elements from a setup that has them. Cheap and no more frozen lines!
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:56 AM
D90user
steve

Good call on the junk yard Art. Heated lines uh?... this may end up being the fanciest thing on my rover

I kind of like the idea of running them on the wipers, I have seen other cars with that setup it seems to work with the low pressure I'm dealing with. Plus I think it will be easier.

I'll post back on what I figure out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2007, 01:05 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

1. Putting them on the hood eliminates unsightly external tubing.

2. Assuming freezing is an issue, you will really appreciate heated lines especially in a Tdi. I did notice you're in Nevada...

3. I do not have low pressure with my Tdi setup.That can easily be fixed with a better pump.

4. You can even get one sprayer, mounted in the center. I prefer two in case one craps out. Considering they'll be non-LR parts the odds of that happening are remote but a dual setup sure would dump a lot of spray. I always appreciate my Corolla for this!
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:11 AM
D90user
steve

Your speaking my language Art... becoming convinced... change the pump huh...started as a cheap easy fix now moving in to high pressure pumps....going to the pick and pull in the morning.
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Of course you could get Genuine LR heated ones but they'll probably leak!

Personally I don't like the sprayers on the wiper arm, but I guess its personal opinion. For one, they don't tend to properly wet the windshield BEFORE the wipers wipe it, which can cause scratching.
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:43 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Well maybe one of you will know if this is normal. Mine work but are basicly streams like what would come from a garden hose. Plenty of pressure but the stream doesn't fan out at all. Is this another case of incredible LR engineering or am I needing a part? The nozzles?
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Probably typical. Even the new LR3's is like that! It really bugs me too! My Jeep at least nicely coats the window!

Hey! There you go. I don't think they're heated, but the ones off the '99-'04 Jeep Grand Cherokees might make a nice mod for you.
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:06 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Looked at mine last week - tubes are gone! Heated lines are not needed here in Southern Cal. but the vermin have eaten (well nibbled) the tubes. I was wondering how to go about fixing them. So, in the engine bay, if I cut the hose where it enters the firewall that's kosher. Then rerun a sytem. Without having really looked yet, the pump for pressure - in plain sight and a swap out deal with somethiong from the junk yard??
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:30 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Scott,

Yes, I think the LR ones do not fan. They don't on both my trucks. That's why I noted teh replacements with two holes each.

Paul,

You don't need a wholesale swap, unless you want to. Just get a plastic tube connector and splice them together. First blow into them and see if air comes out the sprayer. This will save you the trouble of disconnecting/reconnecting nder the dash.

If you need to work under the dash I was able to reconnect the tube at the sprayer head by working through the ashtray hole. A pain in the ass. Apparently my sprayer was blocked and the pressure built up and popped the tube out of its WHIMPY clamp.
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:46 AM
nas110_300tdi
nas110_300tdi
NAS D110

I just found this site where they did a wiper mod: http://www.reedx.net/landrover/mods/wipers/index.htm
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:04 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Geez, a whole lot of work for minimal gain. So, you end up with three arcs of spray waiting for gravity to do its work before the blade starts wiping?

Plus, unsightly tubes, tie wraps and two holes in your bulkhead. A lot of over-engineering here!

The beauty of the two-hole sprayer is obvious: you can point each hole to a location on the windshield, covering a larger area.

Don't forget: you can even use a REAL fan sprayer from any modern car, not just the simpler two-hole job. That should satisfy anyone.

Two holes on the hood, pop in your sprayers and connect 'yer tubes. Simple, cheap and looks stock.
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:06 AM
nas110_300tdi
nas110_300tdi
NAS D110

Good point...I don't like the REEDX wiper mod either...just putting it out there for other people to check out - get some ideas flowing. Visuals are always nice, even for bad ideas.
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Is there a way to make the current lower nozzle spray a more " flat spray" vs. the stream pattern?
If a you go with new hood mounted nozzles, is there a preferred tired and true make and model out there? Heated or non heated.....
I agree, the two pinpoint streams are a terrible!
COSteve
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Folks...

Let's not get overly deep here...any nozzle will do. Just find one with the look you want, dual hole or fan spray and that's it.

There is no rocket science here.
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:19 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a spare new one if you are interested..

Randy
Old March 15th, 2007, 07:43 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

If you decide to scavenge a whole setup, I will recommend one from a modern style Saab 9-3 or 9-5, they have 3 nozzles on the hood and are wicked high pressure, I was actually scared the 1st time I used them o my wife' s saab.
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM
D90user
steve

I want to keep this simple... I have decided not to change the pump, just the nozzle. there is a geometry issue with many sprayers because of the flat hood and windshield and the roll bar. I also want to keep the use of my hood spare mount. I found a nozzle from a late model dodge ram that may work. Also late 80's wranglers seem to have the right angles. I'll post up when I figure it out.

Randy- I may end up taking you up on the nozzle if thsi becomes too much of a bitch...this is the 4th time I (or a friend) have broken it off and I get so pissed.
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I have one too. Infact, I have the whole setup if someone wants it. Of course, the pump motor is 24 volts, so it doesn't work all that well. If your going fast enough, some water does manage to hit the windshield.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:29 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No prob. let me know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions