Windshield Lower Seal? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 1st, 2014, 02:26 AM
Daniel1
Daniel
1984 D110

Windshield Lower Seal?

Does anyone know what lower windshield seal part # this is? And how difficult is it to replace?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windshieldseal.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	96035  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2014, 03:07 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Whatever the part number, replace it with closed cell foam. The stock seal takes on water and rusts the bulkhead. I have no idea how to replace it short of removing part of the cage and lifting the front of the roof to get the windscreen assembly out as the bulkhead has spikes in it that prevent the windscreen from sliding forward. Honestly, I would just trim as much as I could away and seal with black silicone and wait until I needed to work on the bulkhead to replace it on a NAS 110 or NAS 90 SW as I can't imagine it would be easy to get off the windscreen. BTW, why do you think it is bad? No water can get in past it as there is a lip behind it on the bulkhead.
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:13 AM
Daniel1
Daniel
1984 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Whatever the part number, replace it with closed cell foam. The stock seal takes on water and rusts the bulkhead. I have no idea how to replace it short of removing part of the cage and lifting the front of the roof to get the windscreen assembly out as the bulkhead has spikes in it that prevent the windscreen from sliding forward. Honestly, I would just trim as much as I could away and seal with black silicone and wait until I needed to work on the bulkhead to replace it on a NAS 110 or NAS 90 SW as I can't imagine it would be easy to get off the windscreen. BTW, why do you think it is bad? No water can get in past it as there is a lip behind it on the bulkhead.

Was thinking silicone but wanted to see what it would take to do it factory... The bulkhead looks great at the moment so it'll be some time before I'd do any major work like that.

I was following the heater switch vacuum lines behind the dash and it started pouring out when only then I noticed seeping of water in the circled area pictured. I looked on the outside and it looks like the foam has seen better days so I want to seal it up before it starts leaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140601_100624_resized.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	96053  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2014, 11:33 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Figured it might be the end. Silicone the outside of the seal and it should stop the leak.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions