Windscreen and Vent seals - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2016, 03:26 PM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
Windscreen and Vent seals

So thanks to this wet German winter, it would seem from the small lake in my floorboard that I need to replace the original windscreen and vent seals. Both are visibly cracked.

So searching the forum it sounds like the best route for the vents is to use a rubber seals from the Series III. Anyone have a bad experience going this route? Anyone have another option that they prefer? Any best practices for the actual install?

I wasn't able to find a good answer on the windscreen seal. Any preferred manufacturer or vender? As I searched the vendor websites I keep running across a "seal glazing" and upper/lower seals in addition to the one piece seal. Am I missing something? I'd think the one piece seal is likely to have the best integrity.

As always, thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

How's the bulkhead to windshield section seal?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:27 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Windscreen and Vent seals

I swapped the seals on my NAS 90 to the rubber seals and used simple silicone to adhere them in place. I did add a bit of Vaseline on them so when I opened them up after they wouldn't they didn't stick. You need to remove the felt seals and clean with a good solvent cleaner, be careful to not remove your paint. Worked like a charm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2016, 03:27 AM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
Flananuts - Thanks, it seems from the reading that the recommendation is to use a weather stripping adhesive instead of silicone. Have you had any durability problems?

Rocky - I hadn't noticed until I walked out just now to look, but it looks like the PO ran a bead of silicone along the roof to windscreen joint. The bottom of the windscreen to bulkhead seal looks intact, but there is a gap (1mm-ish) on the top side of the seal. It could be that it has been 30*f for the past few days and it is just feeling the weather... when I pulled the drivers a-pillar trim piece off it looked like the seal may have given up the ghost a while ago (pic). I also noticed that the top bolt on the windscreen retention bracket (nomenclature?) has a leak coming through. I'm thinking I could probably pull that apart, clean it up, and put it back together with new hardware to at least stop that portion.

So I guess if I'm going to do it right you might as well do all five (bulkhead, roof, windscreen glass, vent x2). Unfortunately I think it is going to have to wait until I get back the States this summer. I don't have a garage here. No where to really tear everything apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5203.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	142010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5201.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	142011  

Old February 10th, 2016, 12:17 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Do the vent seals and see if that fixes the problem before replacing the windshield gasket.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:45 PM
rwavers
Robert Wavers

Registry
Thanks. I think that is the easiest way to get started. The way it has been raining this winter I'll have plenty of chances to op-check it.
Old February 10th, 2016, 03:15 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
I'm sure the weather stripping adhesive would work. I used aquarium silicone and it worked great, no issues at all.
Old June 28th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Can anyone recommend a good glue or double sided tape to reattach the vent seals?
Mine are actually in good condition- soft, pliable; not dried up-- but the glue is gone!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	152699  

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 28th, 2016, 09:27 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Can anyone recommend a good glue or double sided tape to reattach the vent seals? Mine are actually in good condition- soft, pliable; not dried up-- but the glue is gone! .
Don't be cheap. Buy the better seals and install them properly. Would you re-use a toothbrush that fell into an un-flushed toilet?

Check my thread for part numbers, installation pointers, etc. They're one of the main failure points for water ingress, so it's best to do it right while you have them out.
Old June 28th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Don't be cheap. Buy the better seals and install them properly. Would you re-use a toothbrush that fell into an un-flushed toilet?

Check my thread for part numbers, installation pointers, etc. They're one of the main failure points for water ingress, so it's best to do it right while you have them out.
We give those toothbrushes away...

Oh, I dont mind buying seals ( I saw your thread BTW, but Jimmy prefers the original foamy ones over the rubber ones)

I just hate to throw away perfectly good ones and add to the landfill!
And, if I install new seals, I wonder if the glue is as good (read: horrible)

Rent my
!
Old June 28th, 2016, 10:02 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
We give those toothbrushes away... Oh, I dont mind buying seals (I saw your thread BTW, but Jimmy prefers the original foamy ones over the rubber ones) I just hate to throw away perfectly good ones and add to the landfill! And, if I install new seals, I wonder if the glue is as good (read: horrible) .
Don't listen to Jimmy, he sleeps with a painters mask over his mouth to keep spiders out. It's a known fact that foam absorbs water and rubber repels it. Yes they're a little more difficult to close all-the-way the first few months with the rubber seals but they will keep water out WAY BETTER than the foam ones. Plus you can donate your foam ones to Jimmy for when his fail in a year.
Old June 28th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Don't listen to Jimmy, he sleeps with a painters mask over his mouth to keep spiders out.
I thought his mask was to keep the cat from "stealing his breath at night"??

Maybe it's for something else; Jimmy seems to be doing a lot of kissing on FB these days.
It's like every time I look, there's Jimmy & Amanda face sucking in a Rover...

Rent my
!
Old June 28th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Use the door seal rubber stuff - it is the best stuff you can use - tacky crap, but good....RN sells it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seals, vent seals