window tint? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 21st, 2006, 07:11 PM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

window tint?

Looking to get some input on window tint. It is pretty hot in AZ in teh summer and It takes quite a bit of time to cool off the interior. I have heard of issues with visiability when on the trail if tinted. Are the issues that bad?

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2006, 07:21 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I don't know squat about tints other than this: Dark tints suck if you are off roading and want visibility, so I would not even consider them. There are some out there that I have seen that are called something like low-e tints that keep the hot rays from going into your truck without having to block all the light, so it keeps them pretty cear visibly. Those would be the one's I would consider. You can also get glass that way--I think the back of my Discovery has that darkness changing light tint that blocks the heat, but I don't think that is just the tint--I think it is tint inside the glass (or made with the glass).
Old July 21st, 2006, 10:56 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I tinted the rear passenger windows on my crew cab. It really helps and my kids aren't squinting there eyes constantly. I left the front windows un-tinted for the reason stated above, plus the fact that it's illegal in CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2006, 11:37 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Try 3M products. I have it myself. Works great.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:37 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I have what I guess you would call a medium tint and I don't even notice it on the trails. All windows.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD
Try 3M products. I have it myself. Works great.
3M in general or a certain shade?

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:19 AM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
I know this is an old thread but I'm bringing it back. I'm less interested in the pros and cons of tint, as I've decided I want to add a modest tint to the rear windows and very light tint to the front side windows. Both tints, however, block 90%+ of UV rays and a lot of heat (nice when you have a black truck and no AC).

My question is about window sizes. A lot of tint shops now have schematic databases so they plug in the vehicle and a computer cuts the tint. My '84 Ninety is not in the database but the NAS 90s are. Anyone know if the windows are the same size?

Front door windows, SW rear sliding windows, rear cargo door window, and 2 smaller rear 'porthole' (not sure what else to call them) windows. I don't have safari / overhead glass in the rear.

All input welcome - thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
window