Window rattle - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Window rattle

Have any of you guys tried replacing the tracks/locking mech on the rear sliding windows? Mine rattle to all hell, at idle (diesel) and espicially on wash board. Over the years I have jammed various things in the track like neoprene, duct tape, ect.. but noting has worked for a long term solution. The last thing I want to do is remove/replace PITA+$$$... any suggestions??

On a similar note the front windows if half way down on dirt roads shake like stripper on crack . have any of you guys replaced the tracks up front with any success??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2006, 07:15 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

On the same thought I have a similar issue with the slider windows on my '95 ST. I can get mine to stop rattling for a little while by opening the window just a tad, and re-locking it, but this is only a temporary fix. Any other ideas?? Anyone ever had the tracks re-lined? or done it themselves??
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:40 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I used a plastic putty knife tip and wedged it between the glass and the frame. I used glue on the glass side of the putty knife to hold it in place, has worked for over a year.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:06 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

Steve,

I had the same problem with my 97 SW rear windows. I looked into replacing the tracks and it was time consuming and temporary given the bad design of the OEM and replacement felt rail parts involved. The best solution I have found, and I have been using this now for over one year with complete success, is to get a small piece of rubber matting material, cut a thin strip, and then wedge the strip into the upper outside slider rail. I used black rubber from a matt that was designed to line a tool box. If you cut the piece small enough it wll fit into the rail and no one will ever know it is there. The only downside is that this will not work if you intend to actually use the windows. I tried this approach with other materials and nothing would last, especially if it became wet. However, soft rubber is effective and lasts nomatter how wet, cold or hot it gets outside.

With respect to soft top upper windows, I recently replaced the felt rail in my S-3 without too much difficulty. This quickly resolved the extremely anoying rattling problem I was experiencing. If the D-90 upper windows are the same as the S-3, all that is required is that you locate the small phillips head screws in the bottom of the felt rail, remove them, and then carefully pry out the factory rail. Replace the rail with a new one from BP, etc. and you are set. By comparision to replacing the rear sliding windows it is a piece of cake.

Just my personal experiences but I hope this helps.

Michael
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:23 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I like your style Sheki.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rattle, window