Winch -- Worm gear v. planetary arrangement Bumpers? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

Winch -- Worm gear v. planetary arrangement Bumpers?

All--

This is really a two part post. I'd love your thoughts on both questions. I have been around and around on this in my head for sometime now and seem to be no further ahead.
  • Worm drive (e.g. Superwinch Husky 10) v. planetary drive (e.g. Warn 9500ti) winch. I understand I give up recovery speed with a worm drive winch, but is the durability, ability to "hold" or spool out under power a valuable tool? Is the speed of a planetary winch a deciding factor? I intend to use synthetic cable, does the heat associated with a planetary winch really pose a threat?
  • Now the problem that really is driving me crazy: I decided to purchase a Rock Ware D-90 bumper, however it won't accept a Superwinch Husky 10 easily. The folks at Rock Ware can make a custom bumber for it, but that seems excessive, even to me. Does anyone know of a winch bumper that easily accepts a Superwinch Husky 10 without massive modifications. It is a two-plane mounting system with some oddities around how the motor sticks out in front. ARB? Others?
Thanks all in advance and I look forward to your thoughts.

Christopher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

There both good. Anyone not biased will tell you that your not going to be angry with your decision whether you end up with a Husky or Warn.

That said, the Warn will be faster, but will generate more heat. They can both hold and spool out under power. There is no real durability issue. Thats a marketing ploy, even though Superwinch owners try to sell that to you.

Here's the dirty on the heat and synthetic rope issue. I have "heard" of the heat being enough to damage the rope. I have also "heard" of bigfoot. In all my wheeling, I have never had or seen a problem with synthetic rope on any Warn winch.

So it comes back to what you want. I wanted the fastest winch I could so I bought the fastest Warn ever made. I just like to get done and go. Even after a good 30 min of winching (intermittent though) I can still grab the drum and it only feels barely warm.

I can tell you that I wouldn't bother having a custom bumper made just for the Superwinch, although I do like the way the superwinch looks.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:39 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
There both good. Anyone not biased will tell you that your not going to be angry with your decision whether you end up with a Husky or Warn.

That said, the Warn will be faster, but will generate more heat. They can both hold and spool out under power. There is no real durability issue. Thats a marketing ploy, even though Superwinch owners try to sell that to you.
Hey Buck,

I think its important to note the differences in why winches produce heat. Obviously the motor, under load is a large heat source, and there is heat produced in the mechanical losses of the gear drivetrain. However, I don't think alot of this heat is transfered to the drum, and therefore the cable. I think the heat generation issues that synthetic rope users are concerned about comes from the in-drum brake that planetary winches use to hold the load, or power out against a load. That being said, I don't think they produce much heat unless you are powering out against a load.

Worm gear winches require no brake system because the worm drive system is self locking. The worm gear can't drive the worm, so if the drum attempts to turn, it cannot turn the worm that is attached to the motor, it is physically locked (better explanation than mine) , and generates very little heat as a result.

I am not a user of the synthetic rope, and therefore I am no expert, but I believe the heat issue regarding synthetic rope is a function of the braking system planetary winches require.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2008, 01:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Warn 8274, I have had a husky and an XD9000i as well and the 8274 is by far the best (aside from something mechanical with a driveshaft).
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Warn 8274, I have had a husky and an XD9000i as well and the 8274 is by far the best (aside from something mechanical with a driveshaft).
Good winch but I don't like the size. I gotta keep my 90 degree approach angle

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Mount it higher. It is not much deeper than an XD9000i and much better than the husky.
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Mount it higher. It is not much deeper than an XD9000i and much better than the husky.
Hey Ron,

Just curious what your issues where with the Husky, I've heard nothing but good about them in the past, though I have no personal experience with them...

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Mine eventually died through no fault of its own, but my main issue is that it was slow. the "better" in the above quote was in reference to mounting depth.
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:09 PM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

Great information everyone. Keep it coming!

Any thoughts on a Husky and a proper bumper?
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:11 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
It would be through the hood of my 90! And it is over 2in wider than mine. Not to mention 24 LB heavier and 1500lb weaker. I know it is an epic winch, but I gotta keep my 90 degree!!!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Ok buck, keep your 90 degrees.

:-)

Roversnorth sells bumpers to fit the husky, as did safarigard.
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
parantaeyagn
Won Park

RN bumper with husky

I have RN bumper with the Husky winch and synthetic line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s_IMG_0304.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	12276   Click image for larger version

Name:	s_IMG_0306.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	12277  

Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I have a T-Max winch and am very amazed at the power of these. I was a little hesitant as I had never heard of this brand, but I have had great luck. With that being said I can honestly say that I have used my about 20 times (two of which I was scared my bumper was going to come flying off pulling a ford f450 stuck upto its axels)

brian
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:08 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjenk
I have a T-Max winch and am very amazed at the power of these. I was a little hesitant as I had never heard of this brand, but I have had great luck. With that being said I can honestly say that I have used my about 20 times (two of which I was scared my bumper was going to come flying off pulling a ford f450 stuck upto its axels)

brian
Thats a good winch too. Price is nice also.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:33 AM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

This may not help too much since it is for a Disco2 but attached is a shot of my Rovertym bumper which is set up for a Husky. At least you can see what the winch tray and mount area looks like.

edit: Yes, I still need to buy the winch!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	12283   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	12284  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper, winch