Winch size - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 17th, 2004, 07:16 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Winch size

Just wondering what the preferences are out there. I have a Warn M8000 with a bad motor. If replacing it, should I go with a 9000 or 9500. or do I stay with 8000? I think replacing the motor is out because that is nearly the same price as a new one. The 8000 has been plenty but I am doing more and more wheelin. Will a snatch block make up any diference that I may need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2004, 08:12 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I replaced our 8K with a 9K because I wanted the extra umph. A couple bucks more but I felt it was worth it.

On a side note, if you are scraping the broken M8000, I could use parts from it if you want to unload it.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

One thing people overlook is how modified the truck has become. A winch installed before the suspension, tires, and heavy-duty whatever has been added is often rendered inadequate. The weight difference may not be that great, but their larger size is often harder to pull when stuck. A stock vehicle frame deep in mud is less resistance for a winch than pulling one out with 4" larger tires, raised suspension, and massive bumper acting as a snow-plow. If your truck has grown a lot since stock, I would go up on the winch.

While we're talking winches, has anyone had luck with a PTO. I've got an older model Ramsey PTO on a parked '53 Willys M38A1 that I could put to use. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a PTO cover on the Defender transfer case?
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

PTO. I have been looking for some time now for an adapter for the T-Case, they are very hard to find. But Maxi-Drive makes one but it costs I think over $1000.
Old March 18th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

It seems I recall reading that unlike in the U.S., PTO's were popular in Australia and other regions with difficult and very remote terrain. Maybe there's a foreign source for that adapter and other parts.
Old March 18th, 2004, 05:39 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Personally I would use the highest rated winch I could fit (within reason) if it is going to get a lot of use. A lower rated winch heats up faster.

I have never used a PTO winch on a vehicle like a Rover.
Do they pull until the engine stalls or until something breaks? Sounds like they would put a lot of strain on something.

A PTO winch is heavier than DC because of the driveshaft and mechanical controls.

It seems that the DC winches are the most practical for light 4x4s.

Anybody got an opinion?
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

PTO winches will pull until something snaps. Some have shear pins to prevent the cable from being the week point. PTOs can have more cable and take up the same space because they don't have an electric motor. Yes they are heavier, my PTO winch alone is heavier then the my XD9000i.

Is it practical.......................... NO.

Is it overkill............................ Yep!

Do I like it.............................. YES!

Robert, I have a friend in the UK that said he would take a look around for me but he said they were hard to come by over there, although not as hard as here.
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:27 PM
tbmcneill

Quote:
Personally I would use the highest rated winch I could fit (within reason) if it is going to get a lot of use. A lower rated winch heats up faster.
just to clarify here & this may have been what you meant ... but, this is seen primarily with planetary winches; rarely with spur gear (8274) or worm gear (Husky) winches. And even when the planetarys do heat up, most only do so under extended use under full load or or when winching out under load.

T
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

PTO's really are nice if a lot of winching is required. When 4x4's were work vehicles they made sense, more so than on something for recreation. For instance, you can pull logs all day long with one. Also, you can run a variable speed rate by shifting gears in the transmission.
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:07 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Good point Robert, like most things, best depends on how it gets used.

Thanks Troy, I was talking about the electrical parts and motor but the drum heat is something to keep in mind, and very important with synthetic with ropes.

I use synthetic with my XD9000i and still haven't decided how well it is going to hold up to the heat.
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:37 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Check this out. www.ruftraks.co.uk

Look at inspection guidelines.

70* C = 158* F

150* C = 302* F

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch