Winch Selection - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Winch Selection

Having some experience with a Warn XD9000 dying due to gunk in the motor in less than 18 months I am looking for another alternative for the 110. I have both front and rear winch mountings and am leaning heavily towards hydraulic winches as this is an overland vehicle and winching speed is significantly less important than having them work reliably when needed.

So I was looking at Milemarker units specifically 10,500 Lb. 12V Winch 2-Speed Part Number: 70-50050C $693 for both front and back mounts. The valve adapter kit seems to be about $400 or so. Does anyone know if I can use one valve adapter kit for both winches as that would be a significant cost savings overall? The 9000lb unit is also about a hundred bucks cheaper, on a Defender PS pump is a 9000 going to be realistically enough for a laden expedition 110? (my gut instinct is to go 10,500 or 12,000 but saving the cash and weight is also good).

Any opinions are welcome, preferably from those with real experience with hydraulics.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2009, 12:15 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I prefer the Husky 10, it is a worm drive and can run all day and all night, unlike the traditional planetary gear winches. The Warn 8274 is also a great option.

The only experience I have with the hydralic winches was on a buddies 90. He had the mile marker version and it never ran correctly, it did not have enough power to pull it self on flat ground. He was unable to figure out what the real problem was, but the likely suspect was a bad or weak steering pump.

Old July 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The Husky was one of the electric options I was considering, are they fully sealed? The TDS-Goldfish 12 seemed like another reasonable option, bridged up front and low-profile in the rear crossmember. Driving through Canadian winters with all the salt etc things get exposed to having something that I do not need to remove and clean out after every trip would be nice.

I went with a FirstFour front bumper, the close fitting one, galvanized like:

http://www.firstfour.co.uk/defender/...976-386178.php

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2009, 01:27 PM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Have you considered a pto?
Old July 4th, 2009, 01:29 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Interesting idea but I am not sure I have clear routing for the shafts with the 110 long-range fuel tank etc.

Old July 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

BTW! From experience those First Four bumpers are worthless. They are not one but two offs of the Equipe bumper. Ive seen one twisted and one bent from their very weak point.
Old July 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Well, too late now. For expedition I expect it to be fine, if I run into problems I will just make a copy myself once I get time and can just improve on things. I was considering just doing it from scratch but I am fairly time-limited right now and the 110 is still in individual parts in all kinds of different places (paint/body, chassis waiting shipment, finishing up bulkhead.. etc). If I had known I would have gotten it un-coated and beefed it up then galvanized it here... oh well.

Old July 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

lol...
Beef it up would be hard to do. Look at where they put their high lift points! Right on the bend!!!!
Old July 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I don't want to throw a wrench into this as I really don't know if this matters at all, but you may want to do some research to see if you care.

I had a rover PS pump sent to PSC to have them look at whether it was capable to run a full hydro steering. The word I got back was something to the affect it wasn't capable to do anything except be thrown away. So, anyway, if you run a rear winch and a front winch off that pump, along with the hoses running all the way to the back of the rig, it may well be overwhelming to the pump. There are some good repalcement pumps that can be fitted, but I would reconsider electric. At least in the rear for the hoses.

Anyway, just food for thought.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 4th, 2009, 02:51 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I am here specifically to have wrenches thrown at me so do not hesitate to do so

In the rear I may be able to seal things up reasonably well other than the fairlead opening which would make running an electric there a whole lot more convenient. These TDS look like Warn XD9000 clones but with drum seals (from looking at the exploded parts diagram) and one of them in the back would be OK... they seem to offer an 'air activated' freespool or similar which would be cool, then I would not need to go into the back even to move the lever around. (I am assuming I am remembering looking at the right diagram, I have looked at a few today ).

The only other thing if I go electric will be fitting a beefier alternator, the 60A unit puts the winch re-charge cycle at something like 30 minutes per 3 minutes of full-load use which is a bit long.

If I do go hydraulic would you have any suggestions on aftermarket pumps to look at? Might as well consider it since I am about to get the engine up and running on the bench and at least it is something I can work on until the rest of the parts arrive.

Old July 4th, 2009, 05:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you are going hydraulic, I would get a PTO driven hydraulic pump. There is an outfit in the UK that sells super duty ones, but even the factory land rover PTO hydraulic pump would be leaps and bounds above a standard LR PS pump.

Where is the long range tank?
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

PTO hydraulic pump would fit, PTO drive-shaft (rear) would not. I have not seen a factory PTO hydraulic pump before, any idea on a part number or link?

Old July 5th, 2009, 03:34 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I just pulled the PS pump and I see what you mean, there does look to be a lot of room there though (of course the block is on a stand and not in the engine bay but not like a 200TDI fills the bay either). If I used a PTO drive pump I lose the ability to fit an overdrive which I will likely need, especially for this vehicle.

As an alternative PS pump, a Saginaw or something else?

Old July 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
I just pulled the PS pump and I see what you mean, there does look to be a lot of room there though (of course the block is on a stand and not in the engine bay but not like a 200TDI fills the bay either). If I used a PTO drive pump I lose the ability to fit an overdrive which I will likely need, especially for this vehicle.

As an alternative PS pump, a Saginaw or something else?
Hey,

I didn't realise that you had a 200TDi. I just guessed it was a standard NAS. I don't know those engines well. If it is like a 300tdi then it is reverse rotation and that causes a whole host of issues getting a good pump.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:38 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Well on a 200 after an electric fan conversion you do end up with about a foot and a half between the timing cover and the radiator so could always do a mount to flip one around the other way.

Old July 19th, 2009, 05:25 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Has anyone seen the Milemarker V10 and V12 electrics in person yet? They are claiming waterproof, solid-state, and the prices seem reasonable.

Old July 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

If you decide to go hydraulic, another option to the power steering pump or PTO pump is an auxiliary hydraulic pump with an electric clutch mounted on the engine. This is what I use on my 110 and it has worked pretty well for me.
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:27 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Apparently the ZF74 will fit in the aircon space. I do want an air pump as well so I think what I am going to do is wait until I have the engine bay together and figure out where I can add another bracket so I can add both. There does seem to be a lot of space around a 200TDI so my gut feeling is that it should not be an issue.

Old July 20th, 2009, 10:53 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Why not just sell the bumper you have locally and buy my galvanized and powdercoated Rockware bumper with a fully rebuilt Warn 8274 mounted on it?
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:38 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
Why not just sell the bumper you have locally and buy my galvanized and powdercoated Rockware bumper with a fully rebuilt Warn 8274 mounted on it?
A few things, not a fan of the look, but the 8274 is a great competition winch but it is also very high and blocks a lot of the intercooler which for something that is going to see a lot of highway driving the more intercooler visible the better (especially after going to the trouble of getting an Alisport FMI.). I am in the process of searching for a Series IIA or 90 for off-road (either would get a new chassis, if I find a IIA it will be the Designa coil conversion chassis) and for that I would strongly consider this kind of setup but I do not expect to be able to really start that build until next spring. I just want the title registered locally before any issues with the potential harmonization of our import rules with those in the USA occur. (which would also make any 90 brought in before the change from 15 to 25yr worth a whole lot more overnight.)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch