Winch Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Winch Questions

I have a Superwinch X9 on my 90. I decided to replace my fairlead as part of my restoration and found a new one through someone on the board. The new fairlead is slightly different from my current. The opening between the rollers is about 1 inch narrower, and there are two bolt holes instead of four. So I called Superwinch and the person on the customer support line said that it'd be no problem and might even be better in someways that I have now forgotten. My questions are:

1. Is the customer service guy right (aka: it doesn't matter that the opening is smaller than the current fairlead)?
2. Do I drill new holes in the backing of the fairlead to match the pattern on my Rockware bumper or do I drill my bumper and use the hole pattern on the fairlead?
3. Does anyone have a new-condition roller fairlead for the X9 that they want to sell (in which case the previous two questions are more for entertainment purposes)?

Thanks,

Alex

Follow-up Post:

Some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0945.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	16359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0946.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	16360  

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	16362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0949.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	16363  

Name:	IMG_0950.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	16364  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2008, 03:08 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Hi Alex,

The fairlead opening on my WARN fairlead is 7 1/4 inches wide, the width of the drum is 8 7/8 inches wide. So I would say the if your drum is 9 inches wide or less you should be fine. When spooling the wire rope to the sides of the drum it will not easily lay up against the drum flange, but that won't hurt a thing.
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The fairlead you got new is a Warn fairlead. Should not matter what you drill.
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Alex

Looks like your current fairlead is for a Superwinch Husky. Your new roller fairlead is for a Warn. Should not make much difference at all. I may have a new Superwinch roller failread, I will check this evening.

Troy

tsmith@smithpackett.com
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Drill the fairlead. You won't have to paint the bumper and will probably preserve it's value more (the bumper).
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I am pretty sure it was a Sluperwinch fairlead that I sold you. I have never owned a Warn only a Superwinch (never used the roller fairlead).

If it won't work for you, I will send your $ back and even send you a UPS return slip if you don't want it.
PM me if you want to send it back.
If it was my f**k up, my bad. I will make it right.
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Go with option 3, sell the roller, get an AL hawse and synthetic line. I fought the change for a long time, but I swear I dropped 20 lb doing the swap and rope is just so much nicer to deal with.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:01 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Not trying to disagree with Buck, but I saw Bill Burk at the MAR and he is an advocate of the roller fairlead even for synthetic. He says there is still sufficient friction with the aluminum fairlead to damage the line over time (and overheat it in extreme use). The downside is at extreme angles you can pinch the line, but he says it has only happened a handful of times in many years to him, and there are easy ways to avoid it if you are aware.

In full disclosure I don't have a winch, and the majority of my winch experience in on the winch b*tch end of the wire...
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
the majority of my winch experience in on the winch b*tch end of the wire...
Classic !

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM
evilfij
evilfij

"downside is at extreme angles you can pinch the line, but he says it has only happened a handful of times in many years to him."

I have seen it happen and a handful of times is too many.
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Personally I'll probably go with a hawse and synthetic myself, but I do respect his opinion very much. And to be fair, he sees more winch action in a month than most do in a lifetime. I guess his point is that if you are aware of the risks you can prevent them, and in the end the net result is better with roller + skilled & alert operater. Hawse is probably better for the part time hack
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
evilfij
evilfij

"the part time hack"

Good description of me.

Ron
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:46 AM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cred
I am pretty sure it was a Sluperwinch fairlead that I sold you. I have never owned a Warn only a Superwinch (never used the roller fairlead).

If it won't work for you, I will send your $ back and even send you a UPS return slip if you don't want it.
PM me if you want to send it back.
If it was my f**k up, my bad. I will make it right.
Hey Clarence,

I got your message and PM and I don't think you F'd up at all. And was a stand-up move to try to make it right. I think that the Superwinch EPi9.0 came with the fairlead that you sent me. I have a Warn 9000 on my Toyota pickup, and although they look similar, they are in fact different. But I think that I'll just drill some holes in the fairlead and call it good.

Thanks again for being so conscientious about it though.

-Alex
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Delrin rollers?

for SW 9K

I'd like to get a set for my Husky...might have them done locally but I can't find the spare time...
Attached Images

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Not trying to disagree with Buck, but I saw Bill Burk at the MAR and he is an advocate of the roller fairlead even for synthetic. He says there is still sufficient friction with the aluminum fairlead to damage the line over time (and overheat it in extreme use). The downside is at extreme angles you can pinch the line, but he says it has only happened a handful of times in many years to him, and there are easy ways to avoid it if you are aware.

In full disclosure I don't have a winch, and the majority of my winch experience in on the winch b*tch end of the wire...
You can disagree with me all you want! Most sane people do.

I however disagree with Bill. I know he is a legend to a lot of people here, but to me he seems to find comfort in old technology and stick with it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch