Winch Mount - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 20th, 2005, 04:45 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Winch Mount

I purchased a T-Max 12500 (I know overkill, but the price was too right...I didn' ask any questions). It is very similar to the Warn set up. I am curious as to how you guys running the warn mounted your control box? The t-max has a bracket that attaches to the cross bars, but in an arb bumper I had to rotate to mount.
Also wiring suggestions. In my mind I am thinking of running wires from the battery to the engine bay. Quick connect there and then the winch cable with quick connect. Does anyone run a similar set up. I am making a list of pros/cons

Pros:
No power to the winch unless connected
would be able to set up quick connect jumper cables rather than remove seat.

Cons:
Would have to get into engine bay to connect winch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN1376.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	4327  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2005, 05:58 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I ran the wires to a quick connect plug mounted to a bracket just to the right of the winch. That way I can unplug the winch and hook up a set of jumper cables without even popping the hood. I ran the wires up and over the inner fender panel and out through a small horizontal panel below the headlights at the bottom edge of the front fender.
Old November 21st, 2005, 06:11 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

why have quick disconnects? What's the benifit? Seems to me, when you're going to need your winch you're not going to want to have to fuss with connecting it. I just don't see the advantages. If you did run a disconnect, you would want them in a location where they would be kept clean.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2005, 06:32 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
why have quick disconnects? What's the benifit? Seems to me, when you're going to need your winch you're not going to want to have to fuss with connecting it. I just don't see the advantages. If you did run a disconnect, you would want them in a location where they would be kept clean.
'not a good idea to have power to the winch all the time. It just takes a vandal a couple of paper clips inserted in the control socket to turn the winch on. One can imagine the damge that can be done by a sufficiently malicious person.

I have a cut-out switch in the battery compartment that gets turned on before off-roading; otherwise it stays off.
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Use a solenoid on the power side of the winch. pretty easy if you think about it
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:46 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I have heard of people in australia spooling the winch out and connecting it to the trailor hitch across the top of the truck... then using paperclips to engage the winch. You can imagine what the truck looks like after that!!

So it is worth it for the disconnects... all it takes is one SOB to really piss you off.
Old November 27th, 2005, 08:00 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Brian,
I have the Warn quick disconnect setup on the drivers side fender (under the bonnet). I was afraid of some jackass doing what the guys above posted. I would not do it any other way and you are 100% correct about making a jumper cable so you don't have to undo any seat bottom to jump the battery. If you want pictures, P.M. your e-mail address to me and I will be happy to send some........

Follow-up Post:

Here are a few photo's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0667.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	4412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	4413  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mount, winch