Winch Cutoff Switch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2004, 05:13 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Winch Cutoff Switch

What kind of switch are you guys using to stop power to the front winch when it is not in use?
Has anybody wired the winch up to the side terminals of an Optima and leave the D-90 electrical system attached to the posts?
As always thanks, each and every one of you are a great source of information....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2004, 05:49 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

not useing an isolator and the side terminals are not good enough to wire a winch from
use side for light stuff only
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:47 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Not sure what you mean by cutoff switch for the winch. I have my control box/solenoids mounted inside my battery box with the winch control outlet coming out the front by my feet. Keeps the solenoids clean and mostly dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boxpic1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	2027  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2004, 11:55 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Let me re-phrase. Is there power going to the winch all the time? Can anybody plug in or short out the controls and screw with your winch???
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

On Jimmys truck yes, same with Dave's if he does not throw the kill switch.
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:29 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

On the Optima website is says not to use the side terminals for high-current loads.

A kill switch is a must. Either that, or you must run the winch power through a relay that is only energized when the key is in the ignition.

The control socket is pretty simple. It doesn't take much more than a couple of paper clips to energize the winch: imagine the vandalism possibilities.
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:49 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Barry,
Thanks for your input. I stopped in at a local offroad shop today. He said that the always mount the winch power cables to the side terminals. He told me that NAPA makes up the cables with the ends for a good price. I would figure that the side terminals would be the same as the top posts. I have owned several cars that used side terminals only.I will have to get hold of Optima and ask what they think.
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Dave, on a normal car it is fine to use the side terminals, as most normal cars will never see a current draw of more then 150 amps (the starter). They don't like you using the side terminals as they are not as good of a contact point as the main post is, the main post goes directly into the battery, while the side post connects to the main post so there is a contact point that has a small amount of resistance, with the amount of current that a winch can draw that small resistance will = heat also the winch will be less effective as the resistance between it and the battery increases. You may be fine using the side posts, but then you are not hooking it up the best that you can be, so you wouldn’t leave one of the bolts that hold the winch on loose just because it was easier then tightening it now would you?
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Dave,
I use a cut off switch supplied by Jacobs Electronics....it's been on the truck for over 10 years now, so I don't know what the exact specs are, but I think it's rated for 1000 amps intermittent load. At the time it was the only thing I could find that would handle the amperage load.
Rob
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:31 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Well, that being the case, are people cutting off the battery connector from the main cables and attaching the winch wiring and the vehicle wiring onto a new battery connector? I don't want to sound supid, I just want to do this only once and not loose sleep over the job quality. I found this picture on a some jeep site. Is this about what you guys did? Once again, thanks to all......
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Battery.bmp (900.1 KB, 190 views)
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:26 PM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

I mounted my control box/solenoids in the engine bay. Then I wired in 2 marine grade switches next to the dash lights dimmer switch since there are two additional cutouts already provided. One switch turns power on/off to the control box and the second switch is the rocker style that controls the winch for either in or out of the cable. It works identical to the winch control. When I am by myself (which is seldom) and need to winch I just plug the winch control into the box under the hood.

Dennis
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:02 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Hella 720 cutoff switch

I'll be ordering this Hella switch, model 720 for $79.22.

Specs;

Continuous rating 550 Amps
Intermittent rating 700 Amps
Cranking rating 2500 Amps for 10 seconds
Voltage rating 48 Volts DC
Operation On/Off
Termination stud size 2 x 12mm
Dimensions 102mm x 102mm x 92mm high
Attached Images

Old December 29th, 2004, 12:14 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Thanks Arthur, I like that switch, I wish I would have known about it before I did what I did. I went with a plug under the bonnet. It is the Warn plug that people use for their winch if the hitch mount it. So far, so good.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 05:05 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

See http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...logy/tips.html

Quote:
Connect high amperage accessories such as a winch to the top terminals only. Do NOT use the side terminals.
The reason for this is that the top terminals are the "main" terminals that are directly connected to the battery cells. The side terminals are connected to the tops through some less-than-robust straps. 'not a good idea to draw a winch load through those straps. The sides are probably OK for everything else, including engine starting. But a winch yanking you out of sucky mud might pull 400A for a while.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:59 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Barry,

Are you sure it can handle everything else. I just hooked up the winch today and I switched the normal truck stuff over to the side terminals and hooked the winch up to the top portion. I just wanted to make sure this is okay.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Should be good, everything else should not amount to more then 100 amps, and even at that the alt will be running and handling most of the load anyway.
Old January 4th, 2005, 12:17 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Agreed.
Old January 4th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

All this is new to me, I've been using the side posts on my optima yellow top to run my warn m8000 and so far its been perfect, but after reading this post I have one question, should I switch it up so that my winch runs off the tops and everything else on the truck off the sides? Needless to say this wouldnt be a hard switch, I just want to do it right....
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Do it, if it is easy then do it.
Old January 4th, 2005, 11:20 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What do you guys think of this? http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant...J/PROD/R/RG631

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch, winch