Winch Bumper Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 19th, 2004, 10:42 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Winch Bumper Question

If I wanted to install an ARB bumper and Warn Winch, would I need to upgrade the stock suspension for the extra weight?

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2004, 10:58 AM
tbmcneill

yes. you'll lose as much as an inch from the front end if you don't. OME would probably be your best bet if you're wanting something mild or trying to stay close to stock.
T
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Probably.

I installed an ARB/winch combo on my D90 with 20K miles and it was fine until about 50K miles before the springs really started to sag, but I think I just got lucky since the springs were so new.
Best way to check is to stand on your stock bumper and see how much the front of the vehicle drops, since the ARB with a winch weighs roughly 200#
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2004, 12:31 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

No, not necessary. Rovers are expected to carry some equipment, often including a winch.

I have Hunky 8 (heavier actually), winch bumper, tow jaws, snorkel, c-plate, steering guard, spare tire, shovel, pickaxe, 6 Hella 3ks, all weighing down on the front, and it still never bottoms out, unlike the rear which does on occaision.

I might upgrade to the genuine HD springs at some point, but it isn't necessary.
Old February 20th, 2004, 02:30 AM
tbmcneill

LOL .... how's that for a response? 3 responses, 3 different answers.

I guess the point is that it depends on your application. Necessary for some, not for others.

I've always wanted to maintain maximum clearance, so I always eventually upgraded springs to keep the ride height at least to stock unloaded height.... & eventually added height on both the Disco & 90 I built up. As wicks mentioned, though, its doubtful you'll ever bottom out with the stock springs up front.

You will lose clearance, though. there's no way not to when you add 200-300 lbs of gear on the front of a stock LR. Even something like the Trophy Discos used HD front springs & HD rear springs with an add'l set of rear helper springs to handle the weight .... & that kept them pretty close to stock height ... & they didn't even have 'winch bumpers' up front; just a Husky with a Mantec brush bar/winch mount.

As is obvious from the responses ... depending on what kind of wheeling you do, max clearance may or may not be an issue for you.

Good luck with it....
T
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:11 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Thanks for the info guys.

Mark
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:12 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Sure thing Mark. Regards clearance, also bare in mind that your primary clearance is achieved through your tire size, affecting the clearance of axles. This is pretty much fixed no matter what load is being carried. This is why some people go for those nasty giant tires.

The approach, departure, and breakover clearances are improved from lifting through springs. Unless you are a rock-crawler who uses your rover like a jeep, dropping these an inch under the wight of a winch isn't going to change much in terms of capabilities.
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Unless your a rock crawler using your Rover like a Jeep

Ouch!
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:35 PM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

I figure pictures are worth a thousand words, here is my 97 SW with an ARB and an XD9000. I do not have cable on the winch right now but I can tell you with me standing on the bumper (200lbs) the front does not sink noticeably.
Hope that helps.
Dennis

BTW my springs appear to be stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn4904.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	314  
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:53 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
ouch Wicks that hurts . not that I "crawl" but just the stereotype of the guys out there with the 90's that spend thier time on the rocks.....
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
This is why some people go for those nasty giant tires.
Quote:
The approach, departure, and breakover clearances are improved from lifting through springs. Unless you are a rock-crawler who uses your rover like a jeep, dropping these an inch under the wight of a winch isn't going to change much in terms of capabilities.
Wicks, I gotta know, are you building your truck to go to the mall? Dropping an inch is not going to affect capability? Nasty giant tires? Yep sounds like a real mall crawler to me. Hope all the that weight you bolted on there doesn't bog you down when you go to jump that curb near the valet

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:21 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

Dennis,

Nice rig, but I can't help but notice what you have stashed in the garage... just a little something to make up for the on-road capabilities of the 90
Old February 21st, 2004, 12:50 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Dennis what size tires are they?
Old February 21st, 2004, 01:25 AM
tbmcneill

LOL, Wicks .... man, i guess i should've just been driving a jeep all this time. that's some of the more laughable comments I've heard with regards to jeeps/rovers and tires.

Wicks' (IMO, wrong) comments aside, it still boils down to application. Mild overland crossing ... or maybe you're just trying to make your rig look 'cool' by making it more 'landrover-ish'?....who cares if your truck sits an inch lower in the suspension ... to each their own.

Hitting a typical moderate to hard trail in a stock 90 (or overlanding like the Outback Challenge in Australia)? an extra inch in the suspension can make the difference between clearing an obstacle or pulling the cable .... or worse yet, damage. Again, to each their own.

Like I said, it depends on what you plan to do with the truck. I guess that's one of the beautys of LRs is their ease of adaptability to run whatever terrain you want....

....well, time to go finish Yousef's truck for some major ROCKCRAWLING next week.
T
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:27 AM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

Mark.
Listen to Troy. The first thing I did to my 97 sw was to replace the springs and shocks. I went with a LR HD spring for the front since I planned on installing an ARB w/winch in the future. The front of the truck was raised 1 1/2" higher than the rear when we finished. ( we measured)
I really didn't like that look BUT when I installed the ARB w/winch later, the truck leveled out perfectly. (again, we measured)
Good luck.
Rick
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:30 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Denis's D90 set's fairly level with the "stock" springs but I can grantee not for long! I say go with OME suspension, you will love the look and the ride quality.

Phill, he is running 255/85!

Know I need to go work on my jeep with it's big nasty tires
Old February 21st, 2004, 12:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
thanks. arent those ~33"
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:48 PM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

Quote:
Originally posted by read
Dennis,

Nice rig, but I can't help but notice what you have stashed in the garage... just a little something to make up for the on-road capabilities of the 90
yea that mini van rocks! The shelby is out of service right now and I really miss driving it. I have a feeling when its running again it is going to seem twice as fast since I have got used to the Defenders lack of power!

Dennis what size tires are they?
My 255s are around 33/10.5 if I had my choice i would go with either 285/295s which are also roughly 33s but are closer to 11.5 wide if I remember correctly.

I am not sure how long my springs will last but I will be lifting with OME springs. I would go with DJ's setup if I can afford drive shafts or probably Art Vigil's setup if not.

For now it looks fine though.
Dennis

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper, winch