Winch bumper build Q ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 15th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Winch bumper build Q ?

I am building my own winch bumper and rear bumper with integrated tire carrier. I am presently in the design process and my question is the following.

I might like my winch (Warn 9.5 XP) to sit between the front chassi horns but the thing is that the winch is offset to one side. Do you have to offset the harse then or do you just leave it at that.

For those interest I am building a cross between an ARB, Rockware (witch would be the one I would buy if it could be finacialy viable) Equipe. I will post pics and blueprints of both (front & rear) build in the build section later this month.

Thanks

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Anyone, anyone ?

Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

I am not an expert, but offsetting the winch or the harse will really change the force/strain on parts. In theory, a mount centered between the frame rails should equally distribute the force to the frame.

Again, more dusty memories from HS Physics than any practical experience. Also, I have never seen an offset configuration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW
I am not an expert, but offsetting the winch or the harse will really change the force/strain on parts. In theory, a mount centered between the frame rails should equally distribute the force to the frame.

Again, more dusty memories from HS Physics than any practical experience. Also, I have never seen an offset configuration.
This is what I also think but all the pics I see seem to have the harse centered with a warn winch.

Thanks.

Pat

Old January 19th, 2009, 11:53 AM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

Center the fairlead or hawse on the winch drum. If not you can run into binding issues when pulling. I've got a Superwinch Husky and it's offset.

Mike
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:16 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit
This is what I also think but all the pics I see seem to have the harse centered with a warn winch.
Knowing that a winch can be on a (strong) 2" receiver, I would not worry about the force being applied on one side of the chassis more than on the other side. Center your harse with the drum (well.... centered horizontally with the drum and vertically with the bottom of the drum of course), it might not be centered with the vehicule, but you'll be fine.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

My Superwinch Husky is offset as the winch is too wide to fit between the frame rails with the fairlead centered. I have never had an issue....its not offset that far.
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"My Superwinch Husky is offset as the winch is too wide to fit between the frame rails with the fairlead centered. I have never had an issue....its not offset that far."

Offset the winch, make sure the hawse is centered on the winch. The SG bumper on my disco with the husky was this way too.
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
The hawse/roller position is determined by the mounting holes so there's only one way I guess
Assuming that, both my 8274 and Husky are offset, but so far I never had a problem (touch wood).

I wouldn't bother too much as long as the cradle is correctly made (I added a lot of gussets).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8274_offset.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	17384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Husky_offset.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	17385  

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:44 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Hi Pat,

Try to center the winch drum between the frame rails as best you can, having the hawse fairlead and winch off center a bit will not hurt a thing, but the fairlead must be centered with the drum.

If you do the ARB style mount, the 4 winch mounting bolts will be going through the front of the bumper and you will use the lower two bolts to attach the fairlead.

Your winch has one of the motor vents siliconed shut to help make the motor more water resistant. If you go with the feet forward type mount you must remove the silicone from the air vent or your motor can fill half full of water and there is no way for it to drain out. I have attached a document showing the feet down - feet forward mounting and the silicone removal instructions.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: doc 9.5XP Feet Forward Instructions.doc (297.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: doc Foot Down-Foot Forward.doc (165.0 KB, 87 views)
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I really dont think the fairlead being centered is a big deal. Its a low speed and generally controlled operation. A funky pull might stress parts of a bumper or fairlead, I have never heard of anyone hurting a well built winch or bumper. I imagine a crane or drill rig pulling many tons lots of feet may be an issue. A photo from today and I realized that some arent centered. Ive seen this thing pull WAY more than its rated for with ease.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hella Snow.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	17396   Click image for larger version

Name:	snow RTE.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	17397  

Old January 21st, 2009, 09:24 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Well ...

After much consideration, reading through the replies and looking at allot of pics, I will fit the winch between the frame rails and will offset the hawse on the bumper to fit the drum. It seems to me this is what does the most sense and puts less loads on the bumper or winch.

And Steve, I will put the winch upright but I didn't know about the silicone plug, thanks for the info.

Thanks everyone !

Pat

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper, winch