Winch bumper build - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 29th, 2015, 09:32 PM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Winch bumper build

So I started making a bumper to mount my winch, I attached the winch to the bumper mount points via a plate that is 1/4" steel. What other points do I need to attach the bumper/winch plate to?

this is what I got so far, now i just have to weld some plates to give it a finished look.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2015, 09:58 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Do you have a closeup of the mounting? My concern is possibly twisting under heavy load.

You would normally have a mount that secures both to the top and bottom of the front end of the chassis, so when the mounting bolts go through, it pinches the chassis for rigidity. Then a mounting plate houses the winch with separate mounting bolts. I'm not sure if that's happening here.
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:21 PM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Yeah that's what i was thinking too.. I'll have to make some brackets that fold down to the bottom holes. It's only attached by the top 4 for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:50 PM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Added some braces, now it should be pretty sturdy, any other concerns about the way I'm making this??

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3827596301.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	582.2 KB
ID:	119927  
Old May 6th, 2015, 02:19 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCocito View Post
Added some braces, now it should be pretty sturdy, any other concerns about the way I'm making this?? Thanks!
Looks pretty good to me. No obvious issues that I can see. as with most construction, the weld and HAZ are usually the weakest points.

The real test is a destructive evaluation...winch something!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper, winch