Winch bumper - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 10th, 2003, 03:14 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Winch bumper

Ok, so here is my dilema: I am ready to buy a winch mount/bumper for my '95, but I am not sure what to buy? I already have an XD9000 (the kind with the seperate selinoid) that I had in an ARB on my old Jeep Cherokee.

I know that there are many different owners of such bumpers on this board, and I appreciate any advice before I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2003, 03:22 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Sorry about that last post, I must have hit "submit" too early....

Like I was saying, I am hesitant about which bumper best suits my needs. I already have the winch, and have previously owned an ARB on a Jeep. I think I have narrowed down my choices to:
1) ARB Bull Bar
2) Rockware
3) Safari Gard
I have heard different stories about how hard the install can be on the Safari Gard, and I can see how the ARB will decrease approach angle. Are all the bumpers about the same weight? Does it really matter if the winch is totally inclosed inside the bumper? Can anyone sway me one way or the other?

I appreciate anyone's insight before I shell out lots of dough for something! Thanks,
Mike
Old November 10th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have an ARB, I beat the $hit out of it, I drag and smack it on Rocks, plow it into trees, and use the Highlift on it, If it did not have such a bad approach angle it would be great. I know the other 2 are pretty nice but I don't know how tuff they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Mike,

The ARB is good but the approach angle is horrendous. Do not buy a SG anything. Trust me on that one. The rockware is the best option of the three you mentioned. They have good service and it is the most beefy between the SG and them. You could also have a custom bumber made for about the same cost as these options. I went that rout as none of them worked perfectly for me.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 10th, 2003, 04:27 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Rockware!
Old November 10th, 2003, 04:41 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Personally, I love the SG winch brush bar on our D90.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:11 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
I second Rockware, great approach clearance,very strong, and not that it matters looks good.
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:19 PM
redrover

bumper

I have the SG- very HD, love it. I dont think you will go wrong with any of the three. But if availability is important , I bet SG takes longest to deliver. They always have a glitch. Also with SG you will need to remove about half of the plastic grill, and cut some small steel tabs awat from old bumper mounts on frame.
Old November 10th, 2003, 10:36 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Thanks for eveyone's imput.

One more question, what is installation like on the Rockware bumper? and the ARB?
Mike
Old November 10th, 2003, 11:43 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Ok, so pretty bored tonite and I started surfing...

I did a Google search and found this link to one made by Recovery Gear. "Heavy Duty Moab-style". www.recoverygear.com/smbdmg.html
No brush guard though.

I also came across this pic on a Brit website (g7tgr.demon.co.uk/kernel.php?sitename=dborc&pageid=brb-prods.html) Goodwinch is the name of the company.

They look like they could be good alternatives to the "standard' options.

And as far as the Brit company goes, how many of you have bought bigger items like this and had them shipped over here? I know Defender parts are usually a lot cheaper in the UK, but does shipping eat up the savings?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	90  
Old November 11th, 2003, 08:21 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
The Rockware is bolt on. No other changes necessary. It does leave you the option of cutting your frame rails shorter as they stick out, but I chose not to.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind with a front bumper is the approach angle it affords. I know the SG and rockware both mount above the frame rails. While the ARB is in front of and at the level of the frame rails.

Also, last weekend I witnessed one of our other D90 bretheren smack the outside edge of his rovers north camel tropy style bumper (Mantec). He bent it back into the fender, preventing the wheel from turning. He did not hit the rock hard, but the outside flanges of the bumper are not boxed steel. It was like a knife through butter (bumper). So I think you need to pay attention to design. Otherwise you'll have a momentary lapse in judgement and boom, you'll be looking at getting a new fender and a new bumper in aggravation.
Old November 11th, 2003, 08:28 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I might be mistaken, but I think Goodwinch supplies bumpers for the company called Zbar, that RN carries on their site.

http://catalog.roversnorth.com/catal...taf?id=zbr2100

At the British Invasion this year in Stowe, RN had a Disco there that was running the Goodwinch. Very cool. It had grease nipples all over the winch housing and is supposed to be completely waterproof.

It's an ARB knockoff, and a good one at that.

Old November 11th, 2003, 10:45 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

That Recovery Gear (S.M.S.I.) bumper is the one N.R.P. carries http://www.onlinemac.com/business/no...er/nr00010.htm and they do make a brush bar for it. I've been looking at that one myself. Check out Bruce Bonar's owner bio for a good photo of that setup.
Old November 11th, 2003, 10:54 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Dave, it looks like the ZBAR doesn't stick as far forward as the ARB and perhaps might not sit as low as the ARB, thus allowing a better approach angle. But it also doesn't wrap around the front fender like the ARB.

Both of these bumpers have real clean-looking designs. Phil, thanks for the pointer to Bruce's truck. It looks great!
Old November 12th, 2003, 10:14 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

I think the ARB is the most readily available combo bumper, winch mount and brush guard out there. I ordered one for my D90 from EE and it arrived directly from ARB in about 4 days. It's heavy, but OME HD springs hold it up just fine.
Old November 12th, 2003, 11:47 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

First choice is RockWare, second is Safari Grad!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper, winch