Winch Bolt/Nut locks - like wheel(lug nut) locks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 20th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Jase
Jase
pending

Winch Bolt/Nut locks - like wheel(lug nut) locks

Does anyone know who makes these? These are the keyed security nuts that prevent your winch from being stolen with common hand tools. The ones I'm looking for look more like lug nut locks rather than the Barri nut looks used for lights.

Thanks
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2005, 11:41 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

If someone is going to take the time to steal your winch by unbolting it, they are cool enough and have enough time to load your truck on a trailer and tow it away whole and cut off the keyed bolts and every other part, I would think. Or they can just weld a bolt to the key and remove it that way, just like they can with wheel locks. Is winch theft a big problem here in the east? No offense, but there are lots of lighter parts that are easier to hawk than a winch.

Google comes up with 17,000 references to winch security bolts. Here is a bolt cover and here is a home-made anti-thief device, although my favorite method is described on this very web site: Zowie

Dave
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHuny
If someone is going to take the time to steal your winch by unbolting it, they are cool enough and have enough time to load your truck on a trailer and tow it away whole and cut off the keyed bolts and every other part, I would think. Or they can just weld a bolt to the key and remove it that way, just like they can with wheel locks. Is winch theft a big problem here in the east? No offense, but there are lots of lighter parts that are easier to hawk than a winch.

Dave

My D90 has these bolt locks on the winch (installed by previous owner) and I was asking before I started to remove them. If I could buy the key for short money I would. I spent some time looking for these online but could not locate them.

Winch theft is not that uncommon, a lot easier and worth a lot more than a radio. On an ARB bumper you could drop a winch to the ground in two minutes or less with a cordless impart and a pair of cable shears, causing little disturbance. Add a few more minutes for basic hand tools but lower the distrubance level to zero.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2005, 08:15 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase
Winch theft is not that uncommon
Sorry I misunderstood your first post. Dang you city folks sure have to worry about a lot Half the time I don't even lock my doors, although I do have an Alpine alarm and park next to the police dept during the day.

Can you post pictures of your... ahem ... lug nuts for identification?
Old February 20th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

I agree that these locking nuts are more or less useless. When I remount the winch I plan to tack one of the bolts to the mount. I just hate to ruin them, because they may serve a function at some point. I'll put up a photo when I have the chance.

The locks are bullet shaped, about an inch high, .5 inch across and have a star pattern on the exposed end. The metal looks similar to impact sockets.

I'm not in the city either, but the last time I was in Manchester VT (nice small town) I lost all center caps and hellas off my FZJ80.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel, winch