Winch blocking Intercooler worth the power loss? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2015, 06:20 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Question Winch blocking Intercooler worth the power loss?

Hello,

- I have a Devon 4x4 hi-mount bumper with a Warn 8274 Winch (the overtop type) on my sweet 1999 TD5 90. I use it on trails, but also driving in town, highways etc...
- The winch takes up most of the grille space.
- Is it better to sell this awesome winch for a low profile one? I would imagine you lose power from loss of intercooler and radiator airflow. And think how much people pay to get bigger intercoolers. The amount you use the winch compared to everyday power loss can't be worth it.

Opinions?
Thanks

Here it is:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2015, 06:31 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

If you think about tit the time you need the I ter cooler most is slow speed high revs when you are wheeling... As long as you still have the factory engine driven fan it's still pulling good airflow over the rad and intercooler, I'm sure it does inhibit flow a little but I think you would be surprised how little it actually blocks the air flow when the fan is pulling the air through... If you wanted to test this you could remove the grille and rev the engine and see if you have any dead air spots by putting a small piece of paper against the Intercooler and if the paper doesn't stay in its place you have no air being pulled through/across it...try it in a couple of different spots..... If you have air being pulled through then it's even more efficient when driving down the road and it's being assisted by force...
Old December 11th, 2015, 06:39 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
I do agree, putting around off-road with the fan, it shouldn't be that affected even when the revs get up and you need the cooling. Where I really need the power is going through mountain passes on highways... Which is where wind gets blocked, and actually deflected :o do you think I'm loosing much powe on the highway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dibs on your winch if you decide to sell. In fact, I'll swap you a good warn M8000 plus cash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:00 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Dibs on your winch if you decide to sell. In fact, I'll swap you a good warn M8000 plus cash.
I'm closer...

------ Follow up post added December 11th, 2015 07:02 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRover View Post
I do agree, putting around off-road with the fan, it shouldn't be that affected even when the revs get up and you need the cooling. Where I really need the power is going through mountain passes on highways... Which is where wind gets blocked, and actually deflected :o do you think I'm loosing much powe on the highway?
Easy enough to tell, it takes only a couple of minutes to remove the winch.....find a pass and run it with the winch, remove it and rerun the pass...if there is a big difference you already have the winch removed..
Old December 11th, 2015, 08:03 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

What's the point of a bumper that sits above the bottom of the wing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old December 11th, 2015, 11:02 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
What's the point of a bumper that sits above the bottom of the wing?
Approach angles on steep obstacles/climbs (tires grab, rather than the bumper hitting). With a 35" tire, and a bumper 2" forward of the wing, and a touch wider than the vehicle, that little corner is very difficult to hit.
Old December 14th, 2015, 07:08 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
How much power do you think you're losing, exactly?
Old December 14th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

You are far from the only person running that combo. If the temps are good, I wouldn't worry about it.
But since you are worried, drop in a full size Allisport inter cooler and radiator.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch