will not stay started - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old July 29th, 2013, 04:53 PM
chuck17
Status: Offline
charles E Hudgins
1994 Defender
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yorktown, VA.
Posts: 31
will not stay started

Defender 1994, while driving home , engine light came on. tried to restart 10 minutes later and was hard to start and when it started, I had to keep my foot on the pedal for it to remain running. I also smelled gas. Any suggestions on what this could be?
I have changed the Fuel pump 6 months ago.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old July 29th, 2013, 04:54 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck17 View Post
Defender 1994, while driving home , engine light came on. tried to restart 10 minutes later and was hard to start and when it started, I had to keep my foot on the pedal for it to remain running. I also smelled gas. Any suggestions on what this could be?
I have changed the Fuel pump 6 months ago.
What code is on the display? It is in the passenger side footwell.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 29th, 2013, 05:12 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Check your air hoses ... especially the big one
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:20 PM
chuck17
Status: Offline
charles E Hudgins
1994 Defender
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yorktown, VA.
Posts: 31
Okay, I came back after about 2 hours , it started right up and ran good.... Not sure if it got flooded, something like a module heated up. The computer is on the passenger side and i do have air condition...I have a new large hose that goes to the air filter.... use to have that issue , but fixed it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:46 PM
navydevildoc's Avatar
navydevildoc
Status: Offline
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,586
Registry
did you have a code on the display?

Do the older 3.9s have the infamous stepper motor that controls the idle air?
__________________
"It doesn't swoop, curve, or look like it's going fast when it's parked. It never looks like it's going fast. It doesn't go fast." - Richard Hammond, BBC Top Gear


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:48 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
yes they do and yes they could cause this ...
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:12 PM
flippedrover's Avatar
flippedrover
Status: Offline
Tyler
'94 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ashburn,va
Posts: 3,125
Check your batteries. Mine use to do this until I replaced both batteries.
__________________
Can't you feel 'em circlin' (closin'in) honey?
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around?
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old July 30th, 2013, 08:37 PM
chuck17
Status: Offline
charles E Hudgins
1994 Defender
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yorktown, VA.
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
did you have a code on the display?

Do the older 3.9s have the infamous stepper motor that controls the idle air?


yes they have the stepper motor and I have one so Ill try to replace that.

------ Follow up post added July 30th, 2013 06:38 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover View Post
Check your batteries. Mine use to do this until I replaced both batteries.


Batteries ? Explain please...

------ Follow up post added July 30th, 2013 06:40 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
did you have a code on the display?

Do the older 3.9s have the infamous stepper motor that controls the idle air?

Well I have Air condition and it looks like I have to remove the dash to be able to read the codes....

The service engine light is on all the time.. and after driving awhile , the engine light comes on....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:20 PM
flippedrover's Avatar
flippedrover
Status: Offline
Tyler
'94 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ashburn,va
Posts: 3,125
The batteries act as a buffer for the electrical system (sure someone will correct me). If the battery is bad you can get voltage spikes that the computer doesn't like. It's just something to look at if the usual suspects aren't the cause.
__________________
Can't you feel 'em circlin' (closin'in) honey?
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around?
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:50 PM
chuck17
Status: Offline
charles E Hudgins
1994 Defender
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yorktown, VA.
Posts: 31
Well, I replaced the thermostat and added a quart of oil. I replaced the stepper motor.
Now when I come to a stop it cute off. It will start back up though.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:53 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover View Post
The batteries act as a buffer for the electrical system (sure someone will correct me). If the battery is bad you can get voltage spikes that the computer doesn't like. It's just something to look at if the usual suspects aren't the cause.
be corrected. Voltage regulation is performed in the Alternator.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:56 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck17 View Post
Well, I replaced the thermostat and added a quart of oil. I replaced the stepper motor.
Now when I come to a stop it cute off. It will start back up though.
Replaced the thermostat? Why?

It needs a good service and base idle setting. Don't do that until you check the codes and ensure you have no air leaks or you'll create a worse problem than you have now.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:34 PM
chuck17
Status: Offline
charles E Hudgins
1994 Defender
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yorktown, VA.
Posts: 31
Leastonce, Well i had a new one and just went ahead and replaced it...... Now I do have air conditioning so it seems a little difficult to read the codes. Do you have any suggestions that would be easier than removing alot of dash? The vehicle did tis once before but cleared itself up ..... YOu say good service... meaning plugs wires diet. cap ...etc?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
flippedrover's Avatar
flippedrover
Status: Offline
Tyler
'94 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ashburn,va
Posts: 3,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck17 View Post
Leastonce, Well i had a new one and just went ahead and replaced it...... Now I do have air conditioning so it seems a little difficult to read the codes. Do you have any suggestions that would be easier than removing alot of dash? The vehicle did tis once before but cleared itself up ..... YOu say good service... meaning plugs wires diet. cap ...etc?
The display module as well as the computer are behind a trim piece on the passenger footwell.
__________________
Can't you feel 'em circlin' (closin'in) honey?
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around?
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover View Post

The display module as well as the computer are behind a trim piece on the passenger footwell.
It's about time you removed the trim or you can keep guessing and wasting money forever.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:57 PM
MonLand
Status: Offline
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Herndon, VA - USA
Posts: 1,642
Registry
Based on the symptoms I'm pretty sure the engine cuts off because it overheated and the journal at the end of the connecting rod (of at least one of the cylinders/pistons) dried up and lack of lubrication bent a rod. At this point with an engine on its way out (I mean... We all know the Rover V8 engine is the weak point on those trucks) you should look into a replacement. Might as well go with the 300Tdi or 2.8. A newer alternative will be the TdV6 engine which works wonder. Anyway... Start saving money (and time).
Alternatively, you could sell your truck now and cut your losses. I'm around the corner and can help you come up with a price tag.
__________________
Quote:
I have an ex MoD and an ex wife. The two no longer conflict with each other.
Quote:
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old August 3rd, 2013, 04:15 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
Based on the symptoms I'm pretty sure the engine cuts off because it overheated and the journal at the end of the connecting rod (of at least one of the cylinders/pistons) dried up and lack of lubrication bent a rod. At this point with an engine on its way out (I mean... We all know the Rover V8 engine is the weak point on those trucks) you should look into a replacement. Might as well go with the 300Tdi or 2.8. A newer alternative will be the TdV6 engine which works wonder. Anyway... Start saving money (and time).
Alternatively, you could sell your truck now and cut your losses. I'm around the corner and can help you come up with a price tag.
Not sure how you could come to this diagnosis unless you have more data than provided in the thread.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old August 3rd, 2013, 11:23 PM
chuck17
Status: Offline
charles E Hudgins
1994 Defender
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yorktown, VA.
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
It's about time you removed the trim or you can keep guessing and wasting money forever.
Well The service light stays on , but the engine light went off. It does cut off after about 20 minutes of driving. I hope the engines okay. Not Sure if MonLand was referring to my vehicle as possibly needing a new engine.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old August 4th, 2013, 12:28 AM
navydevildoc's Avatar
navydevildoc
Status: Offline
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,586
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck17 View Post
Well The service light stays on , but the engine light went off. It does cut off after about 20 minutes of driving. I hope the engines okay. Not Sure if MonLand was referring to my vehicle as possibly needing a new engine.
Can you PLEASE for the love of all that is Rover Holy look at the code display? There are lots of guys here that will bend over backwards to help you out, but you seem to be ignoring all of the advice and doing your own thing.

When you say "It does cut off after about 20 minutes of driving" are you referring to the engine dying on you, or the service light turns off, or what?

Your engine is most likely 95% OK... it's going to be something simple that needs fixing.
__________________
"It doesn't swoop, curve, or look like it's going fast when it's parked. It never looks like it's going fast. It doesn't go fast." - Richard Hammond, BBC Top Gear


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:08 AM
chuck17
Status: Offline
charles E Hudgins
1994 Defender
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Yorktown, VA.
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Can you PLEASE for the love of all that is Rover Holy look at the code display? There are lots of guys here that will bend over backwards to help you out, but you seem to be ignoring all of the advice and doing your own thing.

When you say "It does cut off after about 20 minutes of driving" are you referring to the engine dying on you, or the service light turns off, or what?

Your engine is most likely 95% OK... it's going to be something simple that needs fixing.
I have not been to alarmed by the service engine light staying on cause had that occur before and went off. I first became alarmed when the engine check light came on while driving on the interstate. It has remained off ever sense. I do think its something simple and trying to figure out without getting into dismantling the dash and working through the air conditioner.
I am not ignoring the advice from fellow rover owners. It seems to be a intermittent issue.

When I refer to the vehicle cutting off, I mean it cuts off when coming to a stop an when I slow down to make a turn. This only occurs after a period of driving. The service light stays on always when engine started. seems to be when engine starts heating up. I appreciate your imput....sorry if I have aggravated you fellow Rover Owners.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iron goat door trim & door stay CDNRover Defender Technical Discussions 0 December 6th, 2012 03:37 PM
Best way across the US Mike Hippert Defender Technical Discussions 173 April 29th, 2010 04:56 PM
Engine will not stay running waveridin1959 Defender Technical Discussions 30 August 1st, 2005 10:09 AM
Inspirational Speech... norros Misc. Chit-Chat 4 June 16th, 2005 12:51 PM
Still can't get my Defender started and getting desperate tmore Defender Technical Discussions 0 May 29th, 2005 11:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Copyright