Will my steering box hold together? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2013, 11:08 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Will my steering box hold together?

So i'm in Moab right now and i've done a few trails and now I've noticed a creak in the steering box. It turns fine, doesn't whine, has fluid and is 100% fine other than an audible creak when I change direction. It only makes the noise when I go from a left rotation to a right rotation.

I can deal with it if I loose power steering but what i'm concerned with is loosing steering all together. I'm not familiar with the internals of a steering box but what could be causing it and should i be worried about loosing my ability to steer?
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

You don't have to worry about loosing steering all together. You will just get a nice for arm work out!
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:52 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Might just be loose belt or dust on the belt. That was an issue for me in Death Valley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2013, 07:08 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I would also check the mounting bolts as they come loose sometimes. I have had to tighten mine on the trail truck before. Seems common.
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:53 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Ok thanks. It's not the belts, since the noise is there when the truck is off and I jiggle the wheel back and forth. It's not leaking anything either so i'm not sure what's up. Longest loosing steering all together isn't an imminent threat somewhere on the trail, I"m happy. I'll check the mounting bolts.
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:39 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Most likely in one of the TREs or the top ball joint on the arm. You could inject some grease and see if it goes away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions