Will it hurt my D90 if...(fuel pump question) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 18th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Derek Scott
1995 D90 NAS, 1992 RRC SWB LSE
Will it hurt my D90 if...(fuel pump question)

So my '95 NAS D90 3.9 quit last week, and I drained and dropped the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump. The car started and ran fine after that, although I noted that there were only 8.7 volts to the fuel pump fuse. While on a test drive, it quit entirely, in the middle of nowhere of course. I had it towed home and determined that there is now no voltage to the fuse supplying power to the fuel pump.

What might be the possible causes? Could this be the result of the failure of the resistor attached to the MAF wiring harness? Other things to try?

I jumped the fuse to see if it would start with power from the adjacent fuse and it started right up. Since the truck is in rural Maine, spares are neither plentiful nor nearby and I was wondering what would be the consequences of jumping the fuse and just supplying power from the adjacent fuse for the fuel pump until I get necessary parts. Where on the spectrum from "smoldering carcass of my burned up Rover" to "inaccurate fuel gauge readings" are the consequences?

Thanks in advance.

1995 Defender 90 SW Coniston Green || 1992 Range Rover Classic SWB LSE Brooklands Green || a bunch of other cars
Link to my website
Old October 19th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

I am not an EE. But, I will relate to what I found yesterday after pulling the rear speaker enclosures out of my 93 110. The speaker panels hide the rear harnesses and connectors. On both sides there were burn marks on the paint from obvious electrical shorts. Upon closer, but brief, inspection I found exposed copper strands in at least three places! The insulation on some of the wires seems very brittle.

There, my conclusion, trace the wires in the harnesses and make sure yu do not have any exposed copper. By the way, are you sure the initial fuel pump is bad?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, d90, fuel