Will a 300tdi run on kerocene? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Will a 300tdi run on kerocene?

Just curious.
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2011, 09:19 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

till the pump blows.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?sh...1&#entry506391

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?sh...=1&#entry80125

I know a lot of guys that run Farm Diesel to save a few bucks. Most officers will not check that when you get pulled over (somebody has to rat you out basically)...
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have used it when running low and pull into a station that doesn't sell diesel but does sell kerosene. OK for spot/sporadic use but not good for a full tank etc. This is escpecially true for the "clear" kerosene sold for heater use.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Up here we buy 50/50 all winter. 50% kero 50% diesel. It is only good in very cold weather and pings like crazy if we get an odd warm snap.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old April 28th, 2011, 12:24 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

It will if it's mixed 20/80 with used motor oil. Although the people here that run UMO usually just cut it with petrol as that's easier to buy than "paraffin" (Brit speak for kerosene).
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
....with used motor oil....
NO!!!!! Not with a "modern" diesel. The additives in the oil cannot burn and will destroy the injectors and make the rings stick.
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:44 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
NO!!!!! Not with a "modern" diesel. The additives in the oil cannot burn and will destroy the injectors and make the rings stick.
300tdi = modern

Old April 28th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Mid 90s modern, yes. Motor oil and ATF in fuel is for old style diesels.
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:24 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I'm a bit confused as to what is ok and what isn't

If one is to run on used motor oil, what level of filtering beforehand is sufficient? I feel like engine flakes might not be the best being sprayed through tiny injectors. ATF I'm sure is fine, but a bit thick.

Kerosene seems fine if cut with diesel, I'm just not sure how to tell the different types though.
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:52 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

A number of people on the forums here in the UK run 200TDi's and 300TDi's on used oil of various origins -- motor oil, hydraulic oil, ATF, gear oil... They filter it before using, cut it a reasonable viscosity with gasoline, and swear it works fine and has no detrimental effects. And, it's generally free, which is a strong incentive in the land of $8.50 a gallon diesel.

------ Follow up post added April 29th, 2011 11:55 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post

I know a lot of guys that run Farm Diesel to save a few bucks. Most officers will not check that when you get pulled over (somebody has to rat you out basically)...
Here in the UK, diesel for off-road use carries a red dye, and if you get caught running it on the road, it's big trouble. Stops for fuel checks are reasonably common, the police carry test kits and will dip the tank and deliver the verdict on the spot.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:49 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
All good info. The reason I was asking was because I have about 5 gallons left over from the the heater. I guess I can mix it in a bit at a time every tank full then...
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:07 AM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
till the pump blows.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?sh...1&#entry506391

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?sh...=1&#entry80125

If you are stopped at a checkpoint run by State Troopers in VA they will check your tank for offroad diesel. The size of your tank determines the category of the offence. Anyother common misconception is that you can run offroad diesel with "Farm Use" plates on a truck. We need to be registered as a farm to buy offroad or they will charge you full price, the Reefer drivers complain about that.
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:30 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjva View Post
If you are stopped at a checkpoint run by State Troopers in VA they will check your tank for offroad diesel. The size of your tank determines the category of the offence. Anyother common misconception is that you can run offroad diesel with "Farm Use" plates on a truck. We need to be registered as a farm to buy offroad or they will charge you full price, the Reefer drivers complain about that.
I wouldn't mess with it, besides there are not too many farm diesel places in North New Jersey. But I know a guy in Kanasa that has an AUX tank in the bed he keeps the red diesel in there, and the regular stuff in the tank if he is ever checked..... (the Red is for his "farm equipment"). The only way he will ever get busted is if they check his injectors.

Back on topic. I think a lot of Military Generators can run on Kerosene (current production ones).
Old April 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
OK, let's reiterate....

You should not put in stuff like motor oil or ATF. Both have additives that cannot burn. These additives can and will build up inside the engine.

Kerosene can work, but need SAFE lubricity additives such as diesel fuel conditioners or biodiesel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi