Wife wants a Range Rover Classic SWB - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 11th, 2005, 10:15 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Wife wants a Range Rover Classic SWB

Searched the site for info on this model but this is a D90 site and not much there. I wanted to get some opinions on this vehicle, like which year is best, what to watchout for, etc. I will also try the other forums out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2005, 10:56 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
www.rangerovers.net

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:56 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

And what's the number one site for Range Rover info?

Anyone, anyone?

[Edit] Oops, you beat me to it, Dave!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2005, 11:23 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Yes, I have checked out the above site. Interesting information but I was looking for some personal opinions. Is there a year b/w 89 and 95 that really stand out as good or bad years? We both really are drawn to the body style of the older rangies. The price differences aren't really that different b/w these years from what I've seen. Just curious.
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:35 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I like 89-91. They seem to me to be the easiest to work on, no air suspension, 3.9 engiine as opposed to the 87-88 that had the 3.5 engine. Still not huge power gains but a little better. I had a 88 RR and loved it. Wish I still had it. Never had any "real" problems with it. Cant realy tell you much about the 92-96 classics.
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:41 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think the last year of the classic SWB is the best looking, be far the older models were the easiest and the even earlier had the LT-230. Air suspension is easily coverted to coils so that shouldnt be such a big issue. WWW.BVLR.COM usually has a nice selection of classic rangies. I think the LWB is garbage but that is only my opinion. good luck
Old February 11th, 2005, 12:48 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

LWB is garbage. What?!

I have a '93 LWB with 125K (bought it at 113K) and so far I'm dealing with:

1. removing the ABS and fitting a standard servo system.
2. using bungee chords to keep down the rear upper tailgate.

That's really it. Now, it has already been converted to springs so there's no worry there. The motor is just fine and has plenty of pep. All the amenities work except cruise control, which I don't care about anyway.

IT'S THE LEGROOM! Get in the back seat and it's heaven. The best legroom I've ever had. The springs with Bilsteins give it a super comfortable ride.

So, if you need the legroom (or just extra loadspace with the seat down) LWb is the best. However, unless your pockets are deep, I would definitely swap out the air system when it starts acting up.

Mind you, you will have electrical problems with gremlins popping up anywhere from the cruise control to windows to seat controls but I've had no such problems so it's a hit or miss.

You know these aren't problem free vehicles in any year but a LWB does have its followers.
Old February 11th, 2005, 12:56 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Garbage?

I'd have to agree with Art. The space in the LWB is pretty nice when compared to the SWB.

Old February 11th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Tell your wife too damn bad, get her a 1980 Honda Civic, and go buy yourself something nice.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 11th, 2005, 01:54 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

95 is the only way to fly.

Disco soft dash with dual airbags and above all the best damn AC system rover ever made.
ETC to boot.

LWB is garbage?
You throw out a statement like that you can't just hide behind "my opinion".
You better back that one up with some very specfic reasoning.
Old February 11th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

"LWB is garbage"

I wouldn't say it is garbage but I much prefer the look of the SWB. Just my $.02.
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
... much prefer the look of the SWB.

While 8" can be a huge difference anatomically I doubt it is in a RR - look wise, in my opinion. I got a Garvin full rack on mine and it looks just fine, and is very functional.

ETC: just another system that will fail or cost a bundle to fix. I'll be glad once the whole ABS is gone, except of course for not having ABS anymore!

I say find a LWB that has a problem with the air suspension, deal down the price big time and put in coils for cheap money. The ride is still superb. I couldn't believe how comfortable it was the first time I got in mine. I can only imagine how much better a properly working air setup is. But, again, it's only a matter of time before it fails. $$$
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:42 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

The idea that air suspension provides some sort of improved ride quality or handling is a total myth.

Coils are superior every time. The only thing air gives you is ride height adjustability which is the gimmick of all gimmicks. On RRCs and P38s even if you lift the truck a few inches the switch to a coil with a stiff rate and good progression translates to better road manners even with a heigher center of gravity every time.

Air bags have no good progresssion. They are essentially bouncy just like a balloon and the spring rate changes far too rapidly with the compression of the bag. Coils on the other hand can give a smooth increase all the way through.

Nevermind the obvious reliabilty issues, springs just work better. If air ride was so damn good for the road then 360 modenas would have it for cornering and s500s would have it for comfort.
But it aint.
So they don't.

It never ceases to amaze me how desperately people cling to the air even after they have spent the cost of the conversion three times over and have never done anything useful with the EAS.

You can lead a horse to water...
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:48 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Hmmm air suspension is good and bad just like any other product on the market. Jack I can't comment on air/coils on a Rover since I never did a conversion neither driven a Rover before and after. However, I owned a 97 expedition back in 97 and it had coils in the back and torsion bars up front. A year after I bought a Navigator, same truck but different body and it had the air bags in the back and air shocks up front and I could tell the difference in ride was noticeable big time. The gator rode much much nicer so I think air bags do make a difference in ride quality. I personally would not take a air sprung rig to some challenging trails, there is lots of room for failure but some comp buggies did and they had a great success, I guess it depends on which product you own and how it's setup. I can tell you my 97 4.6 HSE lost it's air pressure in the front bags while off roading and it sucked, I had to drive it out of the trail with it looking like a hot rod, my 03 Disco with SLS never seen any failure with it towing my D90 when it had only 50 miles on the odometer to wheeling it in Moab and here in CO. Now would I own an air sprung DD? Yes, in fact I have one now and I love it. Would I put some air bags under my D90? Hell no! Thought about it and I was assured that they will work flawlessly but no, I'd rather have coils under my D90. So as for bags vs. coil I think each has it’s advantage and disadvantage and I will leave it there.

P.S. 2000+ S500's did come with air suspension standard, and don't ask me how I know

P.S.2 For the record, I never intend to offend anyone on the net, it's only internet and I only state my opinion, so if I offended anyone I'm sorry, and if you take the internet so seriously and as your personal life then you need to get a life. I only do it for fun and to learn something new

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
classic, range rover