wi to wa trip?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:38 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

wi to wa trip??

i am thinking of taking the d90 from wisconsin to washington state for a wedding?? and some fly fishing.
this long of a trip in the truck has me a bit nervouse. it is about 4k miles total. what precautions should i take before i take this trip?? any advice?

thanks,
steved90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I'd just be sure to have an extra rod or two and maybe a wader patch kit.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I just got back from a 4000 mi trip from colorado to ohio to georgia and back. I took a road kit with my spares in it(belts, hoses, fluid). Before I left, I made sure that all the fluids, belts and things like that were changed. I also dynamat'ed the inside of mine but that wasn't necessary. I had no problems whatsoever and my truck has a little less than 100k miles after the trip. It was a blast.

Oh and gas, I carried one jerry can just in case but did not need it. In fact, the stopping every 180 miles for fuel gave me a good reason to get out and stretch the legs. I think the longest day we had we drove about 15 hours.

As always, if you go through CO and need anything, I am around the Denver area.
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

The only precaution I'd do is take my Corolla.

Besides the usual spares I would make a list of fellow D90'ers along the route just in case you need help.

Longest I've done is 900 miles in one day. Had an issue with stalling and rough restart after the first 450 miles but after a long cool down no problems on the return trip. Just high anxiety trying to stay on the right lane all the way from DC to Boston in heavy downpours, of course.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:01 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

thanks for all the advice so far. i noticed the other day when i started the d up that the front radiator fan wasn't spinning. but i did not notice the truck overheating at all. is it supposed to turn on when i start the truck up? do i need to replace it before i go?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

IT should not spinn much at all until the engine and radiator get warm, then it will slowly start spinning harder. Sounds like it is working fine. You don't need the fan for highway driving anyway.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

Thanks mike,

was curiuos about that.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Ron and I drove from his place in Buffalow to CA with no fan! We offroaded in Moab with NO fan, we had to stop and let it cool down every now and then but we made

The best thing you can do is daily drive it for a while to make sure everything is sound. That and have someone you can call near a PC so they ca post your location and what broke on the forum :P
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:20 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

excellent idea. we are going to bring a laptop or two with us, my girlfriend is addicted to the computer. what hoses and belts should i replace before i go? and what ones should i bring along? i have never changed a belt on the d. my tool box will definatly be going along for the ride as well as extra fishing gear.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

If the belts are in good shape just buy spares, is it a 94/95 or a 97? 97s just have one belt, but 94/95s I would carry the 3 main belts, alt, water pump and power steering. It would be a good idea to flush the radiator and replace the upper and lower radiator hoses, also the heater hoses Dap sells a kit to replace them all.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Credit card with lots of space to pay for fuel. Having a spare jerry can may not be a bad idea, but probably not necessary.
I drove my truck across country (wa->ct) on an uneventful trip a couple years ago. Oh, I did get wet when it rained - all 2mins of it. So add a rain coat and a bolt came undone on the hardtop - quick fix with basic toolkit on an exit ramp somewhere in montana.
As a result of that trip my wife (who came with me even after being given the option of not coming) now hates it. Oh well.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

thats ok my girlfriend already doesn't care for it. it takes up a lot of time as you all know.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:49 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved90
thanks for all the advice so far. i noticed the other day when i started the d up that the front radiator fan wasn't spinning. but i did not notice the truck overheating at all. is it supposed to turn on when i start the truck up? do i need to replace it before i go?

Sounds like you were probably looking at the fan for the air conditioner coil up front. If so, turn on your AC and it will spin.

Since you'll be going right by the place, stop off and fish the Big Horn below Yellowtail Dam at Ft. Smith Mt.. It has "muey grande" trout and this time of year none of the moss that makes fishing there tough.

That is if you don't mind big trout on tiny flies.

Good luck!!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

How long of a trip will this be? Given price of gas, wear and tear, and 4 days in a Rover, I would look into air fare for comparison. You'll pretty much hit a service interval on that trip. Mine has been a daily driver since '99, but that kind of drive for a weekend wedding sounds downright awful.

Others may disagree here, but long trips in these things can get very long. If I'm in a car for 4 days it better be fast and comfortable.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
As for which belts and hoses, I happened to have a full replacement kit sitting around, so I threw it all in a bin and brought it along only so I had it. But then again, I had a water pump and stuff like that in there too. Come to think of it, it is odd the amount of spares I have accumulated in 9 months....
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:43 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

hey robert,

it is not going to be for a weekend more like 2 weeks and taking our time and doing some fishing and camping
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:52 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

In addition to some of the fine items people have mentioned, you might also think about some kind of ear protection depending how loud things are in your D90.

I'm still broke from my project so I just use nice foam ear plugs. Should you have a larger budget, you might consider some of the Bose noise canceling headphones. If you have a passenger, you might think about a pair of aviation headphones with the joined microphone.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:01 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

as far as the noise cancelation, i have a full 60gig ipod and the speakers should be enough big. thats my kind of noise cancelation.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:11 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

actually Sandro has a good point (I have a set of foamies in my truck for such occasions, when I remember to dig them out). I've suffered ringing ear syndrome more than once after being on the road in the truck for a few hours.
Stock speakers are useless at this point. Just adds to the noise and you cant hear anything anyway.
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:33 AM
steved90
steven melnyk

aaaaaa,stock speakers?? no

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
trip