Why would overheating occur with high electrical loads? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 10th, 2009, 10:03 PM
johnpiero
John Brancato
none

Why would overheating occur with high electrical loads?

I've had the weirdest problem happen a handful of times already but i have no clue as to why. Now this doesn't happen every single time, but each time it has happened (approx 5 times over the past 6 months) it happens the same way every time. Here how it goes: I'm driving at about 70mph with my lights and fan on and the temp gauge is right in the middle. Then as I put on my brights or honk my horn the temp gauge goes way high. The strangest thing is that the gauge goes up very fast...for example, if i put my brights on the temp gauge goes up to red in about 3 seconds. then when i turn them off, it goes back down in about 3 seconds. WHAT THE HECK COULD THIS BE?
Thanks fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Sounds like an electrical fault somewhere, not an overheating issue. Unfortunately, those types of oddball issues are never easy to track down.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
bad ground causing voltage to find another path. hi beam and horn share a switch don't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpiero
I've had the weirdest problem happen a handful of times already but i have no clue as to why. Now this doesn't happen every single time, but each time it has happened (approx 5 times over the past 6 months) it happens the same way every time. Here how it goes: I'm driving at about 70mph with my lights and fan on and the temp gauge is right in the middle. Then as I put on my brights or honk my horn the temp gauge goes way high. The strangest thing is that the gauge goes up very fast...for example, if i put my brights on the temp gauge goes up to red in about 3 seconds. then when i turn them off, it goes back down in about 3 seconds. WHAT THE HECK COULD THIS BE?
Thanks fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Actually quite common when people swap out gauges, etc. I think the best solution is just a separate ground for the temp gauge, but I cant say exactly what fixed it since I did like 3 different things at once in violation of scientific method.

Old August 26th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
John did you ever resolve this....I'm having that same problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical, overheating