WHY WHY WHY am I blowing through suspension bushings? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

WHY WHY WHY am I blowing through suspension bushings?

Just replaced the the triangle bushing at the front of the rear links for the 3rd time in 16 months. Wheeled 2 days this weekend, Sunday really hard, today fairly easy, and noticed rear steer getting worse. Looked underneath and the drivers side is shot again!! What should I look for(other components etc.) that may be contributing to this pattern of failure?
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I burn a lot of bushings too, at least two sets a year. I don't think there's a solution, other than those Italian control arms that have u-joints instead of bushings -- pricey but they might be a solution...
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Also, the genuine parts in this case are tons better than the "oem" that you get through places like atlantic british. You can especially tell, the "knock-offs" are painted, washer and rubber, and they wear out very quick for me. The genuine really last longer...except about 1.5years ago there was one really bad batch of rubber out and they just disintegrate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2007, 10:14 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I just checked, this set lasted under 7 weeks! Has anyone actually tried the real "Polybush" brand ones. I just got custom rear links to fix my pinion angle so I do not want to go to Heim jointed rears. Apparently my wheeling has gone to the "severe use" end of the spectrum.
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:31 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I found the "real" poly bush (even the "soft" ones) to be much stiffer in my testing.....both on the bench and reality.

They will last (marginally)longer.

Hiem joints last longer IF they are greasable. Mine are worn and noisy even after constant maintenance. I've got rear steer, front steer, bump steer, torque steer all of which I can counteract (somewhat) with steering wheel steer. Ramps over 1600 and wheels like a slut though....it's all a compromise .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:38 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have the Blue Poly Bushings on my D-90 for 8000 miles now with not one sign of wear Kevin..
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:02 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Try this!

http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Flex.asp?MID=50

http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Joint.asp

Attached Images

Old May 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Those are quite swank but I am not replacing my new links.

Eric Riston hooked me up with a set of the genuine bushings that I am going to give a shot.

Follow-up Post:

Here is the 7 week old bush.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0101.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	9497  
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:35 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I have tried the OG orange and the blue polybushings and I'm now back to genuine on the rear links. IMO polybushings have no place in the rearlinks, and this comes from someone who really really wanted polybushings to be the solution.
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:25 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Was the issue lack of flex or failure of the bushing?
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:11 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
Those are quite swank but I am not replacing my new links.

Eric Riston hooked me up with a set of the genuine bushings that I am going to give a shot.

Follow-up Post:

Here is the 7 week old bush.
That's a cheap "OEM" version... They fall apart if you look at them funny... You're better of getting a used factory set form a wrecked Disko or RRC!! Look for the Bushings that look like aligator skin and you can barely read a part number on them, looks like the mold is as old as the product line (probably is)

I'll have to say that the only reliable source I have found for these "OLD" bushing's was RN.

Also in years past to make the truck flex better we would "seperate" the big washers on each end of the bushing from the Rubber and the sleeve... Cool trick and it works okay but you cannot seperate the rubber from this new version, probably why they tear the way they do... Get them from the UK through RN or RDS probably has the good ones to... What amounts to garbage is coming from LRNA..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:30 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

The one in the pic is from RDS. The ones Eric gave me are in a LR box from the UK.
They always fail the same for me, the damage pictured is the rubber crumbling away on the bottom of the rear part of the bushing, basically the rubber sucks.
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:46 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

That's pretty typical of what I've been seeing... Apparently LR no longer cares about the vehicles that built their Off Road Heritage and get off selling junk like this!

I'll look and see if I have some old ones laying around the shop (cleaned up might be a problem!) I'll send you some to "test"

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:25 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
I have tried the OG orange and the blue polybushings and I'm now back to genuine on the rear links. IMO polybushings have no place in the rearlinks, and this comes from someone who really really wanted polybushings to be the solution.
I have tried them both as well on the rearlinks. They blow. They were fine on the road but if you wheel them with a long travel suspension (12 inch travel in the rear) they crack and fall off. I was in Moab and went through the blues my first day of wheeling. I installed them so I figured it was my fault. Took it to a shop, had another set put in. Next day 20 minutes into the trail same thing again, bushing crumpled and fell off. Swiched to oranges and had a different shop put them in. Made it 1.5 days on those before the rear links cooked em. After urinating on the polypush sticker I put the OE ones in and I finished 2 weeks in Moab, the drive back to NY, an numerous trails around here and they still look new. done venting.

by the way... I have rovertym links corrected for a 2 inch lift.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:42 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
It's the long travel that kills the bushes. the squashed rubber has no place to go. rubber is deformable but incompressable
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
OEM rubber bushings are the only way to go. Tried poly for a few years with bad results.
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:06 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
what's the word? Mine are on the out. I've been having this weird rear sway thing going on lately like the rear end is going for it's own ride.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:51 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Having just blown through mine in 10 months, I was informed that there's two versions of OEM bushings out there. The crappy version (what's on my truck currently) just has the inner and outer metal sleeving separated by rubber. I was shown a different (newer?) version that has a metal sleeve in between the inner and outer sleeves (three sleeves in all). I couldn't believe how destroyed mine are. There's no rubber left. Supposedly this other type lasts longer. We'll see!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:01 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Who supplies the "good" OEM bushing kits?
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Good question. My impression was that LR was replacing the double ring bushings with the triple ring bushings in the supply chain, but don't know for sure. The guys at PPR had a box full of double and triples on the shelf. Luke said they were going to ship back the doubles. Both had LR part numbers and packaging.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bushings, wing