Why oh why (aka broken CV joint) - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

This is an interesting thread, indeed.

I tugged out a 350 duelly with a 97 wrangler. I didn't know any better than to smugly tie the rope to his trailer hitch, hook it on each front tow hook and tug. I was laughed at hooking on, but the little jeep did its thing and the guy drove home embarrassed.

Was I just really lucky? It never occured to me to always pull from rear points. Is it based on geometry and the strain pushing the front down, thereby increasing front traction to outweigh all rear wheel input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
No, I already know what caused it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
what are you going to make me list all the things that probably contributed to the extra strain on the joint?

no, not stock tires (although not too far off), 255/85R16
And Emerson I think pulling from the front of the vehicle is fine. In fact it is done quite frequently when the chap in front of you gets stuck you don't turn around to pull him out every time. Though given the choice I would still pull from the rear.
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:29 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
oh do tell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching

And Emerson I think pulling from the front of the vehicle is fine. In fact it is done quite frequently when the chap in front of you gets stuck you don't turn around to pull him out every time. Though given the choice I would still pull from the rear.
I can pull from the front with not too much worry, but I have a Dana60/9 combo running on coast so it doesn't hurt. Even with that, I still don't do it. If the truck is in front of you, winch. If behind, tug. It's just better, especially with a sensitive drivetrain.

And, to answer your question from earlier, Heavy Duty as it relates to this conversation is an axle combo that can reliably handle more than a 32in tire.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Davis M
HDM
'93 Defender 110

your parts/equipment were fine. just, as said by others, know your limitations. if the same situation comes up again, anchor your rig to a tree from your rear recovery point and use the winch thing you've got. i'm pretty sure you won't break a cv doing that - even the factory part.
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

How can one know their limitations, unless they test them ocassionally.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy

JP
I know my limitation...I am not Pendy
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Davis M
HDM
'93 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy

JP
Precisely!!! Of course, it is often a bit cheaper to let others to the testing....
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Smile

I am going to chime in hear just cause I live in the area and would love for someone to stop and give me a pull if in need.

I think it is just a case of bad decision (pulling with winch cable) and bad luck (breaking cv).

I pulled a city worker that was stuck to his axels in the median up in Thorton Colorado (ford f450). I stop and hooked up to my winch, I had to apply my brakes (which I have to do just about anytime I winch someone, D90 is light).

Another time I pulled the mail lady out last year in the blizzards. I first tried to pull her out with a tow strap using my hitch and I could not budge it. I then hooked up my winch and pulled her out like butter.

Lesson...if I can not get them out with my winch, there is no way I am going to be able to pull them out with the D90.
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Funny, I've done tons of pulls from the front never an issue and my drive train is still pure rover. Guess i'm lucky. My old truck (Rangie) had all kinds of stuff swapped including those infamous GBR CV's and I broke everything doing the littlest things. I guess i'm older and wiser with the Defender though..

Side note... at least you broke something helping someone out. I know a guy a blew his t-case up doing a three point turn in his driveway... now that blows.
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Brad,

You bought your truck used, how do you know how the previous owner used it or took care of it. A couple years back, I pulled my axels to change the bearings and found my stock CV's internal cage cracked, but still functional. I also had HD GBR axels, but stock CV's. If I had put a lot of stress on it, it would have shattered, eating the axle too.

Old January 20th, 2008, 11:17 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Brad,

You bought your truck used, how do you know how the previous owner used it or took care of it. A couple years back, I pulled my axels to change the bearings and found my stock CV's internal cage cracked, but still functional. I also had HD GBR axels, but stock CV's. If I had put a lot of stress on it, it would have shattered, eating the axle too.
you're right in that I don't really know how it was used. I do, however, know pretty much everything that was ever done to it. It came with a very thick folder with receipts from everything ever done. During the 10 hours I spent waiting in a tiny little town at Denny's (good times that was) waiting for some help to get it back somewhere that something could actually be done to fix it, I gave Bill at GBR a call (had the folder with me, called the number on the invoice) and he seemed to know my defender fairly well (given the amount sent to him for parts put into this D90 I'm not too surprised). The CV that didn't break had stress marks on it so I don't know if I put those stress marks there or if they were there previously... In any case I ended up replacing both with updated stuff from GBR. At the time it was really the only choice I had (Saturday before Christmas at this point, needed to get it fixed quickly so I could get back to the Family and Santa could come).

-Brad
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:13 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Alright... so here's a related question (not sure if I should continue it here or start a new thread)...

Do you prefer a tow strap or a yank strap? Maybe you use both but at different times? When is one best used vs. the other and what is considered best practice for thier use? (and to make sure I have my terms right I understand a tow strap to be a static strap, a yank strap would be a dynamic strap or rope).
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:48 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

In terms of CV strength, anything Rover sucks, Toyota stuff is stronger by a lot, but not unbreakable...know when you lock your front axle and when you apply the skinny when the steering is turned sharp.

As for towing, I also prefer winching and have the luxury of having one on each end. However, kinetic ropes, when used correctly, work GREAT...I'm trying to find pictures of my TD5 in the desert pulling out a diesel F350 on 37s in the Arabian desert with a kinetic rope...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:53 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
Alright... so here's a related question (not sure if I should continue it here or start a new thread)...

Do you prefer a tow strap or a yank strap? Maybe you use both but at different times? When is one best used vs. the other and what is considered best practice for thier use? (and to make sure I have my terms right I understand a tow strap to be a static strap, a yank strap would be a dynamic strap or rope).
I would get a Snatch Strap (Yank Strap) or the dynamic rope. If you get a static strap, make sure you don't get one with metal hooks. They are pretty dangerous if something breaks. The static strap could be used to two someone home or back to camp.

I have the ARB Strap that has something like 20% stretch and it has red fibers woven in that get exposed if you have over fatigued the strap.

Old January 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

I think bharris pulled over because he wanted to play tough guy in his built-up Defender which he apparently doesn't know shit about by attempting a recovery which apparently he has no business doing.

Then bharris was inclined to cry about the damage he incurred and now has second thoughts about his vehicle/mods choices.

What bharris needs to do is try to actually learn something about his truck and recovery rather than spend his way into foolish bravado.
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
I think bharris pulled over because he wanted to play tough guy in his built-up Defender which he apparently doesn't know shit about by attempting a recovery which apparently he has no business doing.

Then bharris was inclined to cry about the damage he incurred and now has second thoughts about his vehicle/mods choices.

What bharris needs to do is try to actually learn something about his truck and recovery rather than spend his way into foolish bravado.
Did bharris nail your sister or something?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Did bharris nail your sister or something?
Seriously?!?!
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:35 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ

LOL I love you!!

I stopped because there was a bitch of a storm going on at the time and throughout my life I have always stopped to try and help whenever I can. I stopped based on years of having it ingrained into me by my father.

Cry about the damage no... whine a bit, well yea because it hurts to do something stupid. I was trying to help a guy using the tools I had (I usually carry a tow strap that I would have preferencially used but didn't have it with me, after the feedback here I've got a snatch strap on order too).

Yea I need to learn more about this truck and that was why I posted in the first place. Thank you for being so supportive while I try and learn
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:08 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Uhmm

I think bharris should spend his way into foolish bravado. Post often as we all do here.

Wine Women and song go along way as well.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions