Why not remove the inner bushing sleeve? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 10th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Mark Garrenton
'71 IIA 88 LS1 coiler, '84 110, +++
Why not remove the inner bushing sleeve?

I may be wrong but the weak component in a link seems to be the bolts for the bushings. In a three link, the bolts in a center link bushing would be highly probable to sheer in a frontal collision or comparable impact. Most large bushings use a 9/16 bolt. Why couldn't you remove the center sleeve, drill out the bracket (made from 3/8" or 1/2" plate) and install a bolt equivalent to the sleeve OD? I'm building a SG 3-link setup but intend to use 1.75" OD 1.00" ID DOM tapped to accept 1.25"-12 B-7 allthread (for adjustment). The bushings would like those found at PolyPerformance. Once fabricated, I'd wrap the bushing sleeves with appropriate flat stock to strengthen the .120" thick bushing sleeve (in case of collision). This link should be substantial enough to allow the allthread to rotate in one sleeve eliminating excess bushing loads. I figure I must be missing something here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions