Why Dual shock set up? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:34 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Question Why Dual shock set up?

I sure I share this problem with a million other guys who own defenders. I lifted my truck, i took off the sway bars, i put long travel bilstiens on, changed the skinny mud terrains that came with the truck and now the car sways back and forth. Honestly, I don't care about on-road performance as much, you can't have a car be great at both. While i was in Moab I almost flipped my car numerous times due to the amount of sway it had, so i'm looking to remedy the problem. SO here is the set up: front shocks are valved 275/80 as are the rears and i have OME heavy duty springs. I know the rear shocks are too soft as they should be 360/80 but what about putting on double 275/80? DAP makes a nice dual set up and fox shocks makes those position sensitive shocks that could possibly act like sway bars. Can anyone tell me what the advantages/ disadvantages are of dual shocks. The back of my d-90 bucks a lot with stuff in the trunk, which is evidence of a soft suspension, but when driving on dirt roads the soft suspesion is nice and smooth. Can dual shocks let me keep the soft ride without the bottoming out and swaying? I have seen some pictures on this website of people with dual shocks on their d-90's.. any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:46 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Dual shock set-ups are usually to combat fade issues due to fast, heavy load or bumpy track for a prolonged period. The shocks on my 110 faded big time in the Sahara last summer. Made for an interesting time They recovered once cooled down

Shocks don't stop body roll they only slow it down. stiffer springs, lower ride height & lower center of gravity will reduce roll. Or you could fit anti roll bars!
Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:05 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Is your problem while wheeling in off camber positions or body roll at higher speeds? Who did the anti rock system here on the board? I remember it somewhere?
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:29 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

It only mainly happens off-road and when there is a mild load in the trunk. For example, if a tire drops of a ledge the whole truck just swings back and forth for a couple of seconds. When drivng down the road the rear bounces up and and down when i go over bumps. I know the rear shocks are too soft and they have to be revalved. Fitting sway bars would limit the travel of the suspension off-road and i don't think they make an off-road sway bar for land rovers like they do for jeeps. I was thinking there was some way to tweak this with dual shocks in the rear. When i had OME shocks with the OME springs, the ride was great on and off road. I changed the shocks a year ago and now it's the way it is, so i know i messed it up. I just don't know how to combat the valving/ # of shocks question to fix it
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:25 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I was informed by Bilstein that the correct valving for my 110 would be == 400/100?!?!
For what its worth I am setting up my suspension right now & plan on the 7100's but the valving is still a question.
I will buy your bilsteins!! HA HA!
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Or you could go back to the OME shocks. I have the same setup except that I use the OME shocks. No problems here.
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:14 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

The problem with the OME shocks is they aren't very long. The 7100 series I have on the truck now allow for awesome articulation, which the old set up didn't. I am gonig to revalve the shocks and see what happens, but if I were to put duals in the rear, should they both be valved 360/80 or should they total to 360/80
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:33 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
The problem with the OME shocks is they aren't very long. The 7100 series I have on the truck now allow for awesome articulation, which the old set up didn't. I am gonig to revalve the shocks and see what happens, but if I were to put duals in the rear, should they both be valved 360/80 or should they total to 360/80
Have you thgought about lowering the top shock mount at the rear? Mine are lowered 2" and made a huge difference.
Presumably if you valved both shocks to total 360/80 it would be the same as one shock valved 360/80 but neither shock would be working very hard and you'd get no more damping effect than with one shock valved the same. The shocks would be unlikely to overheat though.
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:30 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I guess i will just revalve the rear shocks and see what happens. I need the higher shock mounts to fit the bilstiens because i did not lift my truck. Has anyone heard of somesort of off-road sway bar that is made for Land Rovers? Thanks for all the info..
Old February 27th, 2005, 02:38 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
What sorts of weight do you carry when you off-road? Is it low down?
Last summer I had my 110 heavily laden for our little Sahara adventure including the roof rack, it was truely scary untill I repacked and took the heavy things off the roof rack and put them low down between the wheel boxes
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:53 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I try to keep things as light as possible and as low as possible. I didn't do the gas on the roof, tools on the roof, type thing, everything was located low down in the car. MOst of the stuff i carry off-road isn't that heavy: tools and sometimes a multimount winch. chair and cooler i guess. So not that much.
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:34 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Go for the re-valve then.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions